News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2010, 03:05:53 PM
During the opening ceremonies Bob Costas mentioned that the Russians set an ambitious target of 40 medals. Right now they have 6.

So not just Canada is under achieving?

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on February 21, 2010, 03:07:18 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2010, 03:05:53 PM
During the opening ceremonies Bob Costas mentioned that the Russians set an ambitious target of 40 medals. Right now they have 6.

To put Russia's ineptitude in perspective, they have 25% less medals than Canada right now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Strix

Be fair! In the Calgary games Canada only got 5 medals. Montreal and Calgary combined they only got 16. They already have 8 medals, so are halfway to beating the combined total of all the medals won hosting Olympic games in Canada.

Go Can-a-da!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

HVC

Another very entertaining game by russia.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

In what possible way are we under-acheiving?  We're doing great in terms of medal count.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Strix on February 21, 2010, 03:24:55 PM

Be fair! In the Calgary games Canada only got 5 medals. Montreal and Calgary combined they only got 16. They already have 8 medals, so are halfway to beating the combined total of all the medals won hosting Olympic games in Canada.

Go Can-a-da!

Yeah, but Calgary had (according to Wiki) 46 events, while Vancouver has 86.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Cecil

Yeah winter olympics needs to be trimmed down a bit. Curling, womens hockey and short track is afaik among the events considered to be axed. Although that might just be my personal wish list.

Eddie Teach

Short track is the best spectator event at the games, why would they remove that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Cecil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 21, 2010, 03:53:36 PM
Short track is the best spectator event at the games, why would they remove that?

Because out of a 100 or so medals given out during its history about 90 has been given to the same three nations. The only reason curling is still in is the fact that Canada isnt more dominant than they already are. Popularity in multiple countries are a very important criteria when the IOC decides what to keep and what to let go.

Barrister

Quote from: Cecil on February 21, 2010, 03:49:15 PM
Yeah winter olympics needs to be trimmed down a bit. Curling, womens hockey and short track is afaik among the events considered to be axed. Although that might just be my personal wish list.

They won't axe women's hockey, ever, because they want all sports to be available to men and women.

Curling and short track are some of the most popular events since being introduced.

In short, lay off the crack pipe.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Selling tickets is more important tho
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Strix

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2010, 04:11:43 PM
Selling tickets is more important tho

Yes but since the ice rink is sitting there empty anyways there is no reason not to let the women play hockey. They'll sell enough to family and friends to cover the associated costs.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Cecil

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2010, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: Cecil on February 21, 2010, 03:49:15 PM

They won't axe women's hockey, ever, because they want all sports to be available to men and women.

Curling and short track are some of the most popular events since being introduced.

In short, lay off the crack pipe.

:lmfao:

Grey Fox

Yes, women's hockey sells tickets too.

My post was to Cecil & not to BB(who posted 2 seconds before me).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

If you want to drop sports, lets start with biathalon.

People sled, snowboard, ski, play hockey, and skate during the winter. I don't know anyone that skis around with rifles shooting things.

Maybe we could drop ski jumping too, but last olympics someone told me that some europeans care about ski jumping.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014