And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2010, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 16, 2010, 10:10:28 PM
I'm sorry last i looked Canadian hockey last won a medal the same Olympics the USA did. :contract:

And the colour of our medal was Gold. :contract:

And yet in your lifetime Canada still trails USA in gold medals in Hockey.

USA! USA!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 11:42:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2010, 11:31:02 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 11:20:47 PMWhy should his mom be fawned over any more than the millions of Canadians who have died of cancer? :huh:

Because he ran halfway across the country with an artificial leg to raise awareness and funds to fight cancer.

I hadn't heard of him before last week, and his story is amazing so I don't mean to be disrespectful at all.

But...

The top honors and positions in the Olympic Opening Ceremonies ten to be reserved for former Olympians; only former Olympic athletes are eligible to light the flame for example (IIRC).  His mom carried the friggin' Olympic flag into the stadium; how much more does she want?  To a complete outsider her screams for attention seem out of place.
I'd heard of him before. :P
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: katmai on February 16, 2010, 08:01:48 PM
Dammit zee Germans have taken the overall medal lead

Bow before our military might!

(Many, if not most our athletes in Winter Games are "sport soldiers" enrolled in military programs, because it's the only decent way to get some funding for their sports.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2010, 10:09:15 PM
It is played in the US but they use Canadian players.

We steal all the world's best athletes for our entertainment.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on February 16, 2010, 11:23:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2010, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 16, 2010, 10:10:28 PM
I'm sorry last i looked Canadian hockey last won a medal the same Olympics the USA did. :contract:

And the colour of our medal was Gold. :contract:

And yet in your lifetime Canada still trails USA in gold medals in Hockey.

USA! USA!

All the better to savour the sweet sound of American weeping after they play Canada. :menace:

Besides, the only international competitions that count are 73, 87, and when the NHL players were allowed to play in the Olympics. :P

PRC

It makes sense for the British media to downplay these games - lower the bar so it'll be that much easier to declare London 2012 a success.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2010, 12:32:39 AM
All the better to savour the sweet sound of American weeping after they play Canada. :menace:

Yes, you Canadians can use the Stanley Cup to catch those bitter, bitter tears of ou.......oh wait.  :cool:

Maladict

Quote from: PRC on February 17, 2010, 01:42:12 AM
It makes sense for the British media to downplay these games - lower the bar so it'll be that much easier to declare London 2012 a success.

And disguise the fact they still haven't won any medals.

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 17, 2010, 02:09:43 AM

Yes, you Canadians can use the Stanley Cup to catch those bitter, bitter tears of ou.......oh wait.  :cool:

:huh: This ain't the Challenge Stanley Cup anymore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 16, 2010, 11:41:28 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 16, 2010, 08:01:48 PM
Dammit zee Germans have taken the overall medal lead

Bow before our military might!

(Many, if not most our athletes in Winter Games are "sport soldiers" enrolled in military programs, because it's the only decent way to get some funding for their sports.)

Isn't that what the Russians do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 17, 2010, 02:09:43 AM

Thank you for confirmed my comment about American teams using Canadian players. :cheers:

Ed Anger

QuoteAfter two events that featured problems with electric-powered Olympia ice resurfacing machines, the Vancouver Organizing Committee gave in --- they will bring in a propane-powered Zamboni tomorrow for use at the Richmond Ice Oval. (It will be transported in from Calgary).

Using the electric-powered machines was part of VANOC's efforts to make these the "Green Olympics.''

LOL
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Dirty Westerners & their green agendas. :puke:

Syt

Saw an interview with the German hockey coach, Uwe Krupp this morning. But in a group with Sweden, Finland and Belarus? Guess we'll be last. :lol:

Oddly, German tv is currently showing women's soccer (Germany vs. North Korea, Germany leads 3-0).  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Being last in group doesn't mean much this year, tho.