News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Wow, chewing gum during the medal presentation.  Classy.

Fireblade

I love the Olympics because America always kicks ass. ^_^

So, I've brought this up before, but what do you guys think of Tulsa as a site for the 2020 Summer Olympics?

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/future_bids_2016/1216134906.html T

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fireblade on February 17, 2010, 11:34:49 PM

So, I've brought this up before, but what do you guys think of Tulsa as a site for the 2020 Summer Olympics?

I think there will be way too much flyoverism, bigotry, misconceptions and general Martyism for them to be able to overcome in order to get the games.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Fireblade on February 17, 2010, 11:34:49 PM

Tulsa or Tokyo, gonna be tough to choose

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2010, 02:25:05 PM

You pay a "tv fee" for public tv (ca. 25 EUR/month or so). Public tv is allowed to "earn a bit on the side" with commercials, but not after 8 pm to differentiate them from commercial tv. Some public channels have no ads at all (cultural Austro-Swiss-German channel 3sat, German-French channel arte, regional programs). It doesn't mean that e.g. soccer matches or other major events can't have a "presented by" mini-ad.

25 euro per month ? That's expensive, at least more than in France. Do all people pay it and if not, how ? :D

Ed Anger

Gold for whining goes to... British reporters

If there was a gold medal for premature Winter Olympic whining, the British would be perennial occupants of the middle podium.

Right on schedule, that would be the fourth of 17 event days, U.K. scribes have written off the Vancouver Olympics as a "worst-ever" Games in the making, an "abomination" for causing the death of a luger and an organizational "fiasco" for slow buses and venue meltdowns.

Don't take it personally, Vancouver. The boys of former Fleet Street took mere days to write off Calgary in 1988 before it went on to earn the International Olympic Committee's "best-ever Games" seal of approval.

You think waiting a minute for most of the four-legged Olympic cauldron to rise out of the B.C. Place floor was a disaster? Well, you can only image how the Brits frothed when a giant inflatable mountain range popped like a balloon in a blustery wind just an hour before the opening ceremonies in Calgary.

That was just the beginning. They belittled the ATCO trailer media village, bemoaned their lost laundry and, yes, jeered when snow had to be trucked in to bolster cross-country trails in Canmore. All in the first week.

Vanoc was putting on a brave face to the outbreak of hostile international media reaction, which is spreading into a foreign frenzy pile-on. "Is this the worst beginning of a Games ever?" one journalist baited officials yesterday. And, pray tell, what answer was he expecting? Yes?

There's no obvious explanation for why London reporters are the most caustic of the contingent, having elevated Vancouver-bashing into an unofficial Olympic sport.

Perhaps they're dreadfully bored. After all, the BBC alone has more personnel at the Games than the kingdom's entire 52-member sports team. There's also dispiriting news that bookies back home predict the U.K. will experience a medal shutout in Vancouver, with only an outside shot at the curling podium.

Sadly for them, this time they have no sports hero like the one they giddily covered in Calgary. You should have seen those hard-nosed scribes swarming a clown on skis, that being lovable British ski jumper Eddie the Eagle, in 1988.

Even so, the coverage this time is decidedly edgier and the shots cheaper. Guardian columnist Martin Samuel went over-the-top postal in his attack in the aftermath of the luge fatality. "Canada wanted to Own The Podium," he snarled. "This morning they can put their Maple Leaf stamp on something more instantly tangible: The nondescript little box carrying the lifeless body of Nodar Kumaritashvili back to his home in Bakuriani, Georgia." Good grief.

Other U.K reporters predict financial disaster for Vancouver, a defensive move given that London's 2012 Summer Olympics are already $1.8-billion over budget.

They complain of heavy-handed customs officials and no-nonsense security, which is a tad rich for a future Games host where police will have the right to enter homes without a warrant and Olympic officials can storm residences or enterprises near Games venues to search for protest material. Then, of course, there's Britain's greatest invention for preserving public safety -- the new shatterproof beer pint glass.

It's also instructive to put all the hysterical fretting at Vancouver's warm weather into context. The temperature at 2014 Winter Olympic host Sochi, Russia, will reach 11 C degrees today and 13 C degrees tomorrow.

Not surprisingly, thin-skinned Canadians are filling British newspapers with backlash sneers and jeers.

"London will be worse. It will also be dirtier, smellier, and have worse teeth," howled one offended Canuck.

"Just because you long ago abandoned any ambitions in the world -- or for that matter basic sense of identity or dignity -- and became a lethargic nation of elitist whiners who no one really likes, don't fault those younger nations who do enjoy and embrace life," snapped another.

Sigh. This silly war of trans-Atlantic words will continue if British journalists continue their campaign to maliciously malign a Games that is barely 100 hours old.

Perhaps it's a genetic disposition. After all, Utrecht University in the Netherlands recently found 40 per cent of British men suffer from a premature tendency which, unfortunately for them and their partners, is medically defined as an inability to last more than a minute in bed.

Oops, sorry. Now that is a cheap shot.

LOLZ.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

As I said before, God knows why the British press are (apparently) getting worked up about us not winning a medal. No-one in the street expects to win one. It was enough of a shock coming away with a silver from the last Games.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

BuddhaRhubarb

CBC explained to Canadians last night that all the Brit Journo whining is (aside from the fact that all they have there really is tabloid journalism) a ghey effort to make other Olympic cities look like crap so that when their own Olympics happens in a few years, no one will expect much. Preemptive carping? maybe?

Or imo maybe they just feel bad news sells more papers than good.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Oh PS I'm heading downtown right now for a my yearly BP checkup with my Endo.... afterwards I'm wandering past the long lines at various pavilions and mocking all the posers in line to myself. good times.
:p

Syt

Meanwhile, German TV showed the German pavillion where people come to drink German beer, Canadian bratwurst, made after German (Thuringian - best bratwursts are Thuringians) recipe and bad Schlager music. People seemed to have a good time, though, even if the bratwurst comes at 7 $.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 18, 2010, 03:13:07 AM
25 euro per month ? That's expensive, at least more than in France. Do all people pay it and if not, how ? :D

Well, they send pushy letters and have independent contractors who knock on the doors of people who have not registered their tv/radio. However, in Germany they have no right to enter your home.

In Austria those people have no right to enter your home, either, but they can ask autorities to verify your claim that you have no tv/radio. In practice I never heard of anyone having their door kicked down by the authorities, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on February 18, 2010, 12:17:58 PM
Oh PS I'm heading downtown right now for a my yearly BP checkup with my Endo.... afterwards I'm wandering past the long lines at various pavilions and mocking all the posers in line to myself. good times.

My wife and I went to Saxony house out by Stanley Park on the weekend.  No lineups but pretty crowded - the main thing were the various roasted pork-products and the beer.  It was a random - let's check that out over there - kind of thing, but it was pretty entertaining for a while.

Sophie Scholl

US Curling Team = worst closer ever! :pinch:  0-4?!  Go Canada I guess.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote"Just because you long ago abandoned any ambitions in the world -- or for that matter basic sense of identity or dignity -- and became a lethargic nation of elitist whiners who no one really likes, don't fault those younger nations who do enjoy and embrace life," snapped another.

Greatest.  Canadian.  Ever.  Who ever this guy is they should build a statue of him and engrave these words at the base.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 18, 2010, 03:28:52 PM
US Curling Team = worst closer ever! :pinch:  0-4?!  Go Canada I guess.

The last player to throw rocks is called the skip.

:genius:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.