News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 11:20:47 PMWhy should his mom be fawned over any more than the millions of Canadians who have died of cancer? :huh:

Because he ran halfway across the country with an artificial leg to raise awareness and funds to fight cancer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2010, 11:15:30 PM
Some contact happens.  The skaters have to be both strong and fast.  Ohno is both.  The Koreans are being a bit whiny about this.
How about the last time, when the Koreans accuse Ohno of coming out of his crouch and raising his arms in a dastardly and underhanded manner?

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2010, 11:31:02 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 11:20:47 PMWhy should his mom be fawned over any more than the millions of Canadians who have died of cancer? :huh:

Because he ran halfway across the country with an artificial leg to raise awareness and funds to fight cancer.

I hadn't heard of him before last week, and his story is amazing so I don't mean to be disrespectful at all.

But...

The top honors and positions in the Olympic Opening Ceremonies ten to be reserved for former Olympians; only former Olympic athletes are eligible to light the flame for example (IIRC).  His mom carried the friggin' Olympic flag into the stadium; how much more does she want?  To a complete outsider her screams for attention seem out of place.

Syt

Coverage here (Germany/Austria) is excellent. German tv shows the Games live from 6 pm through 6 am, with the iomportant stuff on their main channels, while their digital cable channels show something else. Additionally, I can catch some coverage on EuroSport and Austrian TV (they're also live, but with a smaller budget than the Germans, obviously).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

I was gonna say it seems NBC coverage is lacking, but when doing a quick check i see starting tomorrow they begin covering it in earnest on it's family of networks (USA, MSNBC,CNBC)
I can start at 8am watching Curling, followed by Men's Hockey then choices of women's biathlon, women's curling and more Men's hockey in afternoon, before more men's hockey and figure skating in evening coverage.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

Hockey and Curling tomorrow!  Woot!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

citizen k

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 16, 2010, 01:54:25 AM

Wave for the camera Jake at the curling game. Better yet, make a "fuck u Jaron" sign.

Jacob

Quote from: citizen k on February 16, 2010, 02:07:41 AM

Wave for the camera Jake at the curling game. Better yet, make a "fuck u Jaron" sign.

Our game is on Friday.  It appears it's women's curling.

We probably won't make it on US or Canadian TV as we'll be waving Chinese and Danish flags.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2010, 02:23:46 AM
Quote from: citizen k on February 16, 2010, 02:07:41 AM

Our game is on Friday.  It appears it's women's curling.

We probably won't make it on US or Canadian TV as we'll be waving Chinese and Danish flags.

The game is on Rogers Sportsnet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Had my fill of women's hockey yesterday.  It's like men's hockey, but without the speed, precision, or checking :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

All those things are against the rules.

Eddie Teach

Watching the curling. What an odd sport.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2010, 12:33:59 PM
were the curlers wearing pleated pants? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on February 16, 2010, 12:47:30 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2010, 12:33:59 PM
were the curlers wearing pleated pants? :P

I would hope that is part of the Canadian uniform, at least.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall