News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I was inspired to look up the luge on wikipedia--apparently there are only 17 artificial tracks in the world, with 1 under construction in Russia. With the exception of the one track in Russia and one under construction (both built recently to help win medals, according to wikipedia), there hasn't been a new facility constructed since 1977 (except to host olympic games). 8 of the current tracks were built to host olympics, and a couple in the former USSR were built with an eye toward winning medals.

There are a bunch of "natural" tracks--I'm not sure what those mean. I would think that "natural" luging would be a lot different than what we see in the olympics, but who knows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bobsleigh,_luge,_and_skeleton_tracks
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2010, 02:59:17 PM
I was inspired to look up the luge on wikipedia--apparently there are only 17 artificial tracks in the world, with 1 under construction in Russia. With the exception of the one track in Russia and one under construction (both built recently to help win medals, according to wikipedia), there hasn't been a new facility constructed since 1977 (except to host olympic games). 8 of the current tracks were built to host olympics, and a couple in the former USSR were built with an eye toward winning medals.

There are a bunch of "natural" tracks--I'm not sure what those mean. I would think that "natural" luging would be a lot different than what we see in the olympics, but who knows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bobsleigh,_luge,_and_skeleton_tracks

Theres more than just what's on that list, like this one, for example, in Michigan: http://www.msports.org/

Just an outdoor track at a winter sports complex, and I'd think it's much (much) slower than the shit the dudes fly down in the Olympics, but hey, for $40 they teach you how to luge.  It should probably be on the "natural" list, I guess, but I don't know how they really rate these things either. 

Edit:  This place is on the wiki, and is saying this is a "natural" track (:blink: It looks like an icy sidewalk in some of those):  http://www.negauneeluge.freehomepage.com/  I don't know..the Muskegon one looks more built up than that in the commercial, but still isn't like what you see on TV.

Strix

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2010, 02:59:17 PM

I am sure that a natural track is one where the ice is created by nature and not kept in place by a refrigeration system i.e. an outdoor skating rink at a park versus in indoor sports complex skating rink.

I would imagine that a non-natural rink would be cleaner and faster than a natural one since it isn't as subjected to the whims of nature.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 14, 2010, 03:11:38 PM

Theres more than just what's on that list, like this one, for example, in Michigan: http://www.msports.org/

Just an outdoor track at a winter sports complex, and I'd think it's much (much) slower than the shit the dudes fly down in the Olympics, but hey, for $40 they teach you how to luge.  It should probably be on the "natural" list, I guess, but I don't know how they really rate these things either. 

Edit:  This place is on the wiki, and is saying this is a "natural" track (:blink: It looks like an icy sidewalk in some of those):  http://www.negauneeluge.freehomepage.com/  I don't know..the Muskegon one looks more built up than that in the commercial, but still isn't like what you see on TV.

Maybe if I retire to Mexico (or some country that will let me naturalize), I'll spend some time at that Michigan track and see if I can qualify for the Olympics as the Mexican 70 year old luger.

I'm still skeptical that these should be Olympic sports while baseball / softball get dropped. But I guess we need more winter sports, or how will we convince people to drop $30 million on opening ceremonies?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Grey Fox

Baseball tournament is simply too long.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2010, 03:38:12 PM
Maybe if I retire to Mexico (or some country that will let me naturalize), I'll spend some time at that Michigan track and see if I can qualify for the Olympics as the Mexican 70 year old luger.

:huh:

Artist's impression:

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2010, 03:38:12 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 14, 2010, 03:11:38 PM

I'm still skeptical that these should be Olympic sports while baseball / softball get dropped. But I guess we need more winter sports, or how will we convince people to drop $30 million on opening ceremonies?

I don't doubt the status of bobsledding and the like as "real" sports, but I agree that including them but tossing baseball out of the summer Olympics doesn't make sense.   Though in baseball's case, as I understand it, the problem was that MLB wouldn't agree to release their players for the Olympics.  I can kind of see both sides of that.  Not sure why softball is losing its status as an Olympic sport.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 03:47:54 PM

No longer than basketball, and basketball isn't getting kicked out.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on February 14, 2010, 03:53:07 PM

I don't doubt the status of bobsledding and the like as "real" sports, but I agree that including them but tossing baseball out of the summer Olympics doesn't make sense.   Though in baseball's case, as I understand it, the problem was that MLB wouldn't agree to release their players for the Olympics.  I can kind of see both sides of that.  Not sure why softball is losing its status as an Olympic sport.

Imagine what would happen if Home Depot refused to release its associates. Half the events would be canceled. :(

Strix

Not sure why softball is losing its status as an Olympic sport.

USA! USA! USA!

USA doesn't lose very often in Softball and the other top spots are usually a given. I think the Olympic Committee wanted to replace it with a more competitive sport.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

sbr

Has Canada won a gold yet?

Strix

Quote from: sbr on February 14, 2010, 04:16:54 PM

I am sure BB and CC will let us know when it happens within seconds.  :secret:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Strix on February 14, 2010, 04:23:31 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 14, 2010, 04:16:54 PM

I am sure BB and CC will let us know when it happens within seconds.  :secret:

Eh, I'm here too.

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on February 14, 2010, 03:58:59 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 03:47:54 PM

No longer than basketball, and basketball isn't getting kicked out.

Because basketball sells tickets for the IOC. Unless baseball can prove they do the same, it won't get in.

Agelastus

Quote from: Strix on February 14, 2010, 04:16:03 PM
Not sure why softball is losing its status as an Olympic sport.

USA! USA! USA!

USA doesn't lose very often in Softball and the other top spots are usually a given. I think the Olympic Committee wanted to replace it with a more competitive sport.

The four times it has been an Olympic Sport has resulted in only four nations being in the Gold/Silver/Bronze table, so I see what you mean.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."