Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 04:51:26 PM
Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:13:50 PM
SO, can Canada finally win a Gold medal when hosting an Olympics? Or will the streak continue....

given the number of golds we have won since 88, either you know nothing about recent olympic history or you are just trolling.

But Canada has never won a gold medal in an Olympics that was held in Canada.   :huh:

That is why I said after 88.  We have won a great many gold medals since then.  A lot more attention was spent on training and we had the facilities built for the 88 Olympics when before many althletes had to travel abroad to train.

Ok that's fair.  I am still a bit confused how Strix pointing out facts about a current streak would be either ignorance or trolling though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 08:26:14 PM
Ok that's fair.  I am still a bit confused how Strix pointing out facts about a current streak would be either ignorance or trolling though.
I think the Games have CC jacked up into a frothing nationalistic fervor.  Woe betide the next poor non-sking Canadian of Maltese descent who crosses his path.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 04:51:26 PM
Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:13:50 PM
SO, can Canada finally win a Gold medal when hosting an Olympics? Or will the streak continue....

given the number of golds we have won since 88, either you know nothing about recent olympic history or you are just trolling.

But Canada has never won a gold medal in an Olympics that was held in Canada.   :huh:

That is why I said after 88.  We have won a great many gold medals since then.  A lot more attention was spent on training and we had the facilities built for the 88 Olympics when before many althletes had to travel abroad to train.

Because if anyone knows anything about recent olympic history they would know we usually get a lot of gold medals.  Therefore he either doesnt know much about the olympics, which judging from Josephus' posts isnt unusual and probably most likely.  Or he does and is just trolling.  Chances are the former rather then the later.

By the way we will find out in about an hour whether we get our first gold.  Jennifer Heil, who won the gold in free style skiing in the last Olympics, is sitting second after the qualifying round.  The final will start shortly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2010, 08:53:37 PM
I think the Games have CC jacked up into a frothing nationalistic fervor.  Woe betide the next poor non-sking Canadian of Maltese descent who crosses his path.

:yes:

Grey Fox

CC is out in full force.

We'll get medals, Jenn Heill will do it for us!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 04:29:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2010, 04:18:21 PM
My favorite Olympics in recent memory were 1998 games in Nagano.  I think the biggest reason is that NBC wasn't showing them. 

I can say without any exaggeration at all that Soviet television, as awful as it was in almost every way, did a much better job covering the sport.  They showed more sports, they let you understand WTF was going on, and they didn't pacakge it to showcase just their own athletes (ironically enough, given how important politically the Olympic games were).

Yeah, I don't really like how the US networks cover olympics.  Edited to sharply, focuses too much on only US athletes.  CBC usually did a much better job IMO.

I'm curious how CTV/TSN will handle it this year...

The thing is, NBC does the worst job covering sports of any of the American networks.  I still cringe about Fox, years ago, getting the NFL contract for the NFC Sunday games from CBS instead of getting the AFC package from NBC.  I spent years watching NBC show shots of Bubby Brister's mom in the stands instead of actual plays on the field.

katmai

Quote from: dps on February 13, 2010, 10:21:47 PM
I spent years watching NBC show shots of Bubby Brister's mom in the stands instead of actual plays on the field.

Well if Bubby was in the game, you didn't miss much.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

It's not like Fox doesnt show crowd shots instead of the game too.

Especially when Prince is attending Vikings games.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

So Silver and Bronze for US in Short Track Speedskating eh?

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 09:11:28 PM

By the way we will find out in about an hour whether we get our first gold.  Jennifer Heil, who won the gold in free style skiing in the last Olympics, is sitting second after the qualifying round.

To an American by the way :contract:

Grey Fox

dps

Quote from: katmai on February 13, 2010, 10:24:14 PM
Quote from: dps on February 13, 2010, 10:21:47 PM
I spent years watching NBC show shots of Bubby Brister's mom in the stands instead of actual plays on the field.

Well if Bubby was in the game, you didn't miss much.

I missed a lot of interceptions, sacks, and drive-ending incpompletions.

katmai

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on February 13, 2010, 11:42:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2010, 11:24:43 PM
The Drought continues.

USA! USA!

It was an awesome run by both Barke & Kearney. As long as the Chinese aren't winning, we can be happy.