And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PRC on February 13, 2010, 02:22:19 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2010, 02:10:19 AM
But that's not the official reason they give, is it?

I don't think they gave an official reason... do they need to?

They had 26,000 different people carry the torch, so why not Arnold.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 12:40:15 AM
The third was a female athlete who was named Canada's athlete of the 20th century. I never heard of her, either.
That paraplegic athlete, Hanson, can't remember his first name was the first one in the stadium.

:huh:

Are you living under a rock?  I thought you were Canadian?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2010, 02:02:23 AM
So apparently Schwarzenegger was one of the Olympic torch bearers.  Anyone have any idea why?

There were quite a few Americans that carried the torch actually.  VANOC has tried to its best not to exclude our American Neighbours - despite what Colbert says.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 10:17:03 AM
The third was a female athlete who was named Canada's athlete of the 20th century. I never heard of her, either.
That paraplegic athlete, Hanson, can't remember his first name was the first one in the stadium.

I typed that after midnight on Friday after having a few. I kept coming up with Jim Hanson, but knew that wasn't right and would be ridiculed if I said that. Now, with a slight hangover I can say it was RICK Hanson.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

BTW, you have to admit that anyone with an ounce of superstition in him must be aware of the nasty portents leading up to these games.

A dead Georgian

The faulty hydraulic system at the end of an otherwise nearly perfect opening ceremonies

The warm weather. (You'd think it would snow in February in Canada...it snowed in Rome yesterday)

Spooky stuff.

Not trying to diss the VANOC or anything to do with the games. If the opening ceremonies are anything to go by, they're really trying to put on a super show.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:28:31 AM
Being totally ignorant of how Canada's political system functions I have a stupid question...

What does the Governor General do? Is it just an honorary title now or does it still have an important function?

Same functions as the Queen in UK, as the GG is the Queen's Representative in Canada. Although very slightly more important nowadays because we have a minority government for years now.

I was too busy with the poker game - and the Habs-Flyers 3rd period on the telescreen - to bother watch the opening.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 10:30:52 AM

I typed that after midnight on Friday after having a few. I kept coming up with Jim Hanson, but knew that wasn't right and would be ridiculed if I said that. Now, with a slight hangover I can say it was RICK Hanson.

I was actually more suprised you didnt know who Nancy Greene is. ;)

Neil

Female athlete of the century.  I mean, really, she doesn't even play hockey.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Skiing doesn't have a very high profile, even at the Olympics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on February 13, 2010, 11:01:14 AM

Even you know who she is.  Josephus needs to hang his head in shame.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 11:13:10 AM
I googled her.  Although I vaguely remembered her.

That said, I think it's hard to determine which athlete in very different sports is deserving of being held up above all others, for women's sports at least.  For men's sport, it is easy:  Gretzky.

Grey Fox

I know who Nancy Greene is but you should all be ashamed that you all forgot Catriona Lemay-Doan.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Well I googled her. Must admit, this was the first time I heard of her. Sorry. Even at the best of times, skiing is not something I follow with anything resembling religious fervour. And please. 1968? I was a two-year-old living in Malta then. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 11:25:42 AM

Well I googled her. Must admit, this was the first time I heard of her. Sorry. Even at the best of times, skiing is not something I follow with anything resembling religious fervour. And please. 1968? I was a two-year-old living in Malta then. :D

Her name is on almost everything that has to do with skiing in this country. Hence my question about you living under a rock.  Turns out you were living on one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2010, 11:18:40 AM
I know who Nancy Greene is but you should all be ashamed that you all forgot Catriona Lemay-Doan.

Why do you think anyone forgot about Doan?  Josephus said he didnt know who the female athlete of the 20th century was.