News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Bows to Saudi King

Started by derspiess, April 08, 2009, 10:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 11:56:21 AM
I didn't watch the footage, but the opening pic of the footage seemed to show a deep bow.

I guess it's just me   I can bow 20 times a day if I'm in court, so I associate a bow with a sign of respect, not of humility or homage.

You are right about bowing meaning respect.
However, Obamas bow is almost at 45 degrees, and is from the waist up. Since he is bowing to a muslim king, this bow means homage, no respect.

At least this is how it will be read by the islamotards, both friends and enemies of the saudi king.

And since they are ALL our enemies...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grallon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2009, 06:34:19 PM

I think this is the first time I've heard US policy towards Saudi Arabia described as arrogant.  I thought the standard knock was that we kiss their asses and prop up their corrupt regime.

You're right that humility costs nothing and in the end it doesn't matter how you get it as long as you get it.  But this thread topic is about more than just humility, it's about paying obeisance to a monarch.

Once again - what does it matter ?  Is the US president any less important because he bowed to an elderly despot ?  No.  However the perception of the event in the muslim world may help bolster the US positions.  Remember the saying about the tree that bends and survives the storm ?  I think Obama is very much aware that the US can no longer afford a lordly attitude.  But then again, perhaps there's no clever maneuvering; perhaps it was only a mark of respect, since in this instance the Saudi monarch represents the muslim world.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sheilbh

The problem with that is that whenever you say the West is for democracy and human rights the first thing an Arab will reply is 'the house of Saud?'  I think it's nearly impossible to underestimate how hated the Saudi monarchy is in 'the Islamic world'.

And, frankly, when the elected leader of the world's largest Muslim country is there, go get pally with him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on April 08, 2009, 07:11:29 PM
Once again - what does it matter ?  Is the US president any less important because he bowed to an elderly despot ?  No.  However the perception of the event in the muslim world may help bolster the US positions.  Remember the saying about the tree that bends and survives the storm ?  I think Obama is very much aware that the US can no longer afford a lordly attitude.  But then again, perhaps there's no clever maneuvering; perhaps it was only a mark of respect, since in this instance the Saudi monarch represents the muslim world.

G.
It matters in terms of public perceptions back home about upholding the dignity of the United States.  And as Shelf already pointed out, sucking the Saudi knob is hardly the best way to ingratiate oneself to the Muslim world.

Grallon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2009, 07:48:18 PM

And as Shelf already pointed out, sucking the Saudi knob is hardly the best way to ingratiate oneself to the Muslim world.

Be outraged then *shrug*

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

MadImmortalMan

This doesn't have any meaning in Arabian custom that Obama didn't intend, does it?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2009, 07:20:27 PM
The problem with that is that whenever you say the West is for democracy and human rights the first thing an Arab will reply is 'the house of Saud?'  I think it's nearly impossible to underestimate how hated the Saudi monarchy is in 'the Islamic world'.
Are you sure? Maybe you're talking to too many Shiites. My impression was that the House of Saud is highly respected amongst most Sunni Arabs.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Phillip V

Solmyr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2009, 08:36:23 PM
This doesn't have any meaning in Arabian custom that Obama didn't intend, does it?

Acknowledging himself as a dhimmi?

derspiess

Okay, I guess this was all a false alarm:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0409/White_House_No_bow_to_Saudi.html

Quote"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

:lmfao:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2009, 11:57:11 AM
Okay, I guess this was all a false alarm:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0409/White_House_No_bow_to_Saudi.html

Quote"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

:lmfao:
First he bows to the guy, then he calls him a midget.  No wonder people think Obama is wishy-washy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 08, 2009, 08:43:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2009, 07:20:27 PM
Are you sure? Maybe you're talking to too many Shiites. My impression was that the House of Saud is highly respected amongst most Sunni Arabs.
I've literally never met an Arab who likes them and doesn't view Western support of them as one of the big strikes against the West.  They are hated.  They are, in my experience, seen to examplify everything that is corrupt, self-serving and oppressive in the regime and our support of them while we talk about democracy is seen as exposing the talk about democracy as a bit of a sham.

QuoteDidn't Bush kiss that guy?
Possibly.  Saudi Kings like some other elder statesmen, Nelson Mandela for example, like holding hands with other world leaders some reason.  Unless they're women.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

I think we should poll all Arab Languishites on their opinion of the Saudi royal family to put this issue ^^ to rest :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2009, 12:35:14 PM
I think we should poll all Arab Languishites on their opinion of the Saudi royal family to put this issue ^^ to rest :P

We have Siegy and ?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son