charliebear

"Please come over for good soup"

Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

I seem to recall one the Brazen mentioned about an excited monkey jumping up someone's pants to help her recall the order of the planets.

Valmy

I used to love ROY G BIV but some jerk took indigo out of the rainbow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

charliebear

:hug:

I know.  That one hit me hard, too.

Brazen

These are mnemonics, not acronyms  :ultra:

charliebear

:blush:  My face is red.

Apologies.  Changes have been made.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 09:58:41 AM

They took Indigo out?  What the Hell?  Who?  When?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2009, 10:23:58 AM

I thought rainbows had been getting narrower :(

ulmont

Quote from: charliebear on April 03, 2009, 09:57:06 AM
I seem to recall one the Brazen mentioned about an excited monkey jumping up someone's pants to help her recall the order of the planets.

Many Very Eager Mice Just Sit Under New Potatoes was the mnemonic I learned from that, but of course it's all fucked up now that Pluto is gone.

For kingdom phylum etc., I learned that King Patrick Can Open Five Gifts Saturday.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2009, 10:23:58 AM

http://books.google.com/books?visbn=3527405038&id=1oDOWr_yueIC&pg=PA214&lpg=PA214&ots=Jrfi5sPBhk&dq=indigo+spectra+blue+violet+date:1990-2007&sig=Rm2xP5mIgyGJ1a1pbfAt65QSf0I#PPA214,M1

Newton only included Indigo because he thought there should be seven colors in the spectrum it seems.  Seven was a magical number to him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Oh Be A Fine Girl(Guy) Kiss Me

OBAFGKM - basic star classification, O is hottest, M coolest.

Savonarola

Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Grass But Violets Grow Wildly

For the values of resistor colors (Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey, White)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

charliebear

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 03, 2009, 11:20:51 AM
Oh Be A Fine Girl(Guy) Kiss Me

OBAFGKM - basic star classification, O is hottest, M coolest.

I like it.  What do the middle ones stand for?  I'm assuming the lukewarm stars, but what are the technical terms?

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Every good boy does fine. Good boys do fine always.- Musical notes on the stanza for treble and bass clef.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

ulmont

Quote from: Savonarola on April 03, 2009, 11:23:29 AM
Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Grass But Violets Grow Wildly

Close to how I heard it:
Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.