Acronyms / Mnemonics - Post your favorites

Started by charliebear, April 03, 2009, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Siege on April 05, 2009, 10:33:44 PM
Sergeant Majors Eat Sugar Cokies.

The 5 paragraphs of an oporder, Situation, Mission, Execution, Service and Support, Command and Signal.

I have never understood why americans do this. I mean, isn't it easier to just remember the actual meaning of the words?

No, that's the point.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on April 05, 2009, 10:33:44 PM
I have never understood why americans do this. I mean, isn't it easier to just remember the actual meaning of the words?
It is to remember their order, not their meaning.  You have to know their meaning to use the mnemonics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2009, 02:27:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 11:01:12 AMNewton only included Indigo because he thought there should be seven colors in the spectrum it seems.  Seven was a magical number to him.

It wasn't magical, you cretin.  He was very pious.  There's a difference, you fag.

He was also an alchemist.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Korea

Quote from: ulmont on April 03, 2009, 11:35:53 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 03, 2009, 11:23:29 AM
Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Grass But Violets Grow Wildly

Close to how I heard it:
Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

Yeah, that's the one I've always heard.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

The only one I remember is:

King Hecter died by drinking chocolate milk.

Kilo, Hecto, Deca, Base, Deci, Centi, Milli

I always used My very excellent mother just sent us nine pizzas. to remember the planets but apparently it's be changed to My very easy method just seems useless now.
I want my mother fucking points!

charliebear

MAD Cap Horse

When identifying deciduous trees, these are the ones that have opposite branching (as opposed to alternate branching):

Maple
Ash
Dogwood

Caprifoliacea (Latin name for Honeysuckle)

Horsechestnut