Acronyms / Mnemonics - Post your favorites

Started by charliebear, April 03, 2009, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliebear

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 02:50:20 PM
I can't say that I used this one in school, but I kind of whish I had.

"Camels Often Sit Down Carefully. Perhaps Their Joints Creak. Possibly Early Oiling Might Prevent Premature Rheumatism"

And this means.....?

Razgovory

Quote from: charliebear on April 05, 2009, 08:54:05 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 02:50:20 PM
I can't say that I used this one in school, but I kind of whish I had.

"Camels Often Sit Down Carefully. Perhaps Their Joints Creak. Possibly Early Oiling Might Prevent Premature Rheumatism"

And this means.....?

Rocks I think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

And this means.....?
Cambrian, Ordovician, Sirillian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurrasic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Myocene, Pileocene, Pleistocene, Recent

Google is your friend.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2009, 11:40:42 AM
And this means.....?
Cambrian, Ordovician, Sirillian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurrasic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Myocene, Pileocene, Pleistocene, Recent

Google is your friend.

So was I right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2009, 11:42:57 AM
So was I right?
Look it up.  Those are geological periods.  If that is what you meant by "rocks" then yes.  if not, then no.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

We learned in elementary school:
"Mein Vater erklärt mir jeden Sonntag unsere neun Planeten."
(My father explains to me every sunday our nine planets.)

I wonder what they teach them to learn the eight planets.

EDIT: apparantly they exchanged "neun Planeten" with "Nachthimmel" (night sky).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

charliebear

Not sure if this counts as a true mnemonic, put in identifying evergreens:

Firs have flat needles
Spruce has square needles

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2009, 11:50:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2009, 11:42:57 AM
So was I right?
Look it up.  Those are geological periods.  If that is what you meant by "rocks" then yes.  if not, then no.

I like try to remember if I know something with googling it.  Just to see if I can remember stuff.  Geological periods was what I meant.  So I'm happy.

charliebear

And this means.....?

Google is your friend.

Amazing.  Totally amazing.  Raz, how in the world did you know something like that?  Without google, that is.

Razgovory

Quote from: charliebear on April 05, 2009, 12:37:08 PM
And this means.....?

Google is your friend.

Amazing.  Totally amazing.  Raz, how in the world did you know something like that?  Without google, that is.

I also do preform for bithday parties.

Scipio

Didn't King Philip Come Over For Good Sex?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 11:01:12 AMNewton only included Indigo because he thought there should be seven colors in the spectrum it seems.  Seven was a magical number to him.

It wasn't magical, you cretin.  He was very pious.  There's a difference, you fag.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Siege

Sergeant Majors Eat Sugar Cokies.

The 5 paragraphs of an oporder, Situation, Mission, Execution, Service and Support, Command and Signal.

I have never understood why americans do this. I mean, isn't it easier to just remember the actual meaning of the words?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

Oh, at military we had, when relieving another unit/watch the following thing:
LANGEMAARKS

Lage (Situation)
Auftrag (Mission/orders)
Nachbarn (neighbours)
Grenzen (borders)
Eröffnungslinie (distance at which you open fire)
Meldeweg (path for reports)
Alarmierung (how is the rest of the unit alarmed in case of emergency)
Ablösung (when is relief due)
Rückwärtiger Raum (what units in the rear, how quickly can reinforcements be there, etc.)
Kennwort (password)
Sperren (obstacles - mines, wires, etc.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.