News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need a gift for a ten year old boy - stat!

Started by Barrister, January 20, 2010, 04:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So, the resident nine year old turns ten today.  No huge party, but there will be presents.  Tonight.

I just went to Walmart to find out the gift I was going to buy (a bean bag chair) they don't have.  "Try again in a few days" doesn't help me.

So any ideas for a ten year old boy?  He likes hockey, skateboards and videogames.  Shocking, I know.  I have to be able to buy it in Whitehorse this afternoon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Seriously though, does he have all the equipment he needs for hockey/skateboarding? If he does you might get him a football or a baseball glove.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 04:43:01 PM
So, the resident nine year old turns ten today.  No huge party, but there will be presents.  Tonight.

I just went to Walmart to find out the gift I was going to buy (a bean bag chair) they don't have.  "Try again in a few days" doesn't help me.

So any ideas for a ten year old boy?  He likes hockey, skateboards and videogames.  Shocking, I know.  I have to be able to buy it in Whitehorse this afternoon.
Does he have an "adult" wallet?  He's about at the age where he'd like that, especially from an adult male.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Surely there's some game he's been buzzing about wanting for a while?
I remember when I was about that age about the only times I got a new game was birthdays and christmas.

Good that the chair was sold out though- furniture, clothes, etc... are the sort of thing kids just expect. Not gifts.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Grumbler, I quite like the way you were thinking, but he just got a wallet at Christmas.  And he has a crapload of hockey equipment.

Josephus

I'm the sort of uncle who slips them a $20 when I shake their hands.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: Josephus on January 20, 2010, 05:15:02 PM
I'm the sort of uncle who slips them a $20 when I shake their hands.

LOL do you: slip the bartender a hundred for keeping the ice cubes cold?

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2010, 05:33:44 PM
Is he a nerd?  If so, a telescope.

Too much money, and no, not really.  Smart kid, does well in school, but much more of a jock than a nerd.  The kid is mad about hockey.

MBM - perhaps.  Is there a Wii version? :unsure:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 05:37:03 PM

:hmm:  I'm actually not sure. 

Edit:  No there doesn't appear to be.  How irritating. 

2K apparently makes a Wii version of their hockey game though:

There are also various skateboarding games for the Wii.  I think the Tony Hawk one comes with a board or some such thing as a controller, which is kinda nifty.

Pedrito

An inexpensive but nice watch, like a Swatch ore something similar.

Swatches are around €50 in Europe.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Vince

j/k    ;)

Every 10 year I know wants New Super Mario Bros for wii.  Does he have that yet?

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 20, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 05:37:03 PM

:hmm:  I'm actually not sure. 

Edit:  No there doesn't appear to be.  How irritating. 

2K apparently makes a Wii version of their hockey game though:

Thanks for looking into it MBM.  Thinking about it he has 2k9, and hasn't asked about getting this year's version.