I need a gift for a ten year old boy - stat!

Started by Barrister, January 20, 2010, 04:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2010, 06:46:40 PM
Then Dopp Kit (aka "Sponge Bag").

I have no idea what this means.   :wacko:

Google to the answer - a shaving kit.  Hmm... perhaps.  :hmm: (I quite like that smiley BTW)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 06:51:44 PM

Google to the answer - a shaving kit.  Hmm... perhaps.  :hmm: (I quite like that smiley BTW)
All manly men have them.  A well-made one will last forever
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

He's 10 Grumbler.  That'd be a shit present and Beeb would become the dick uncle who fails.  How many 10 year olds need to shave?  What are the odds he'll appreciate a present that will collect dust and be useless to him for half a decade?  Get him a night out with just you to dinner and a hockey game.  Maybe allow him to bring one or two friends.  Buy him a program and maybe a hat at the game in addition to dinner and maybe ice cream after the whole thing.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Judas, you are forgetting where he lives.  He needs to fly to Vancouver to do that.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 06:51:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2010, 06:46:40 PM
Then Dopp Kit (aka "Sponge Bag").

At 10?
Is the kid half Mexican or something?

Go for wii. All the way wii. Rock band? :punk:
My cousins love games with silly periphrals.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2010, 05:44:01 PM
There are a lot of great books for boys 10-14....

Hey, a book.  He will wonder what it is at first but what a great idea. :P

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2010, 07:08:44 PM
Judas, you are forgetting where he lives.  He needs to fly to Vancouver to do that.
There's got to be some type of local hockey event, no?  At the least, a promise of a roadtrip at some point.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

A prostitute.

To be serious:

take him to a store, give him a limit and let him get what he wants. I do that with my nephews all the time.

You got 40 bucks each and a half hour. Go.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Prostitutes are 40 bucks for half an hour where you are from?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Asterix

They're fun, they're semi-educational, and not something they would come up with by themselves.  I gave a nephew a bunch one Christmas.

Barrister

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 20, 2010, 07:07:07 PM
He's 10 Grumbler.  That'd be a shit present and Beeb would become the dick uncle who fails.  How many 10 year olds need to shave?  What are the odds he'll appreciate a present that will collect dust and be useless to him for half a decade?  Get him a night out with just you to dinner and a hockey game.  Maybe allow him to bring one or two friends.  Buy him a program and maybe a hat at the game in addition to dinner and maybe ice cream after the whole thing.

Just for the record: he is not my nephew.  He is my wife's friend's son.  Him and his mom have been staying with us for about 3 months when they first moved up to the Yukon (until Feb 1st, when I get my house back!!! :yeah:).

I have done a few things with him, but I'm not about to take him for a night out.  That'd more be a present for his mother, not him.

That being said... he is a child being raised by a single mom.  Growing up he's had little contact with his dad (but good contact with his dad's parents).  He definitely feels a lack of a male role model.  He somewhat oddly enjoys doing very mundane, but manly, tasks with me.  Shovelling the driveway, going to the dump.  Him and I actually had a very nice morning in December going out to cut down the Christmas tree.

So I don't know if grumbles knew or was thinking of any of that, but that's what gives the idea of a gift "from one man to another" some merit.  But probably only in conjunction with something a little more interesting as well.

Anyways I also got an email from his mom that he wants a "bucket of pucks" from Canadian Tire.  That'll be the gift, with maybe a side of a toiletries bag / shaving gear.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2010, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2010, 05:44:01 PM
There are a lot of great books for boys 10-14....

Hey, a book.  He will wonder what it is at first but what a great idea. :P

Hey, smart guy, why don't you try suggesting a title or two.  "A book" isn't all that helpful.  :contract:

Admiral Yi

So Beeb has a single mom living in his house. :hmm: