I need a gift for a ten year old boy - stat!

Started by Barrister, January 20, 2010, 04:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

The pail of pucks is literally that.  A pail, with 12 regulation hockey pucks in it.   :huh:

But he seemed happy with it, so who am I to complain.

Not sure what else to get him, I spied the book store near to the Canadian Tire.  Yi, I tried to find Asterix, but no luck.  I wandered around the kids book section, but since CC never gave me any titles, I was lost.  Eventually I bought him Artemis Fowl, because I've heard the name somewhere before, and found out the author is the same one who did the 6th HHGTTG book that I'm reading.  He also seemed pleased with that.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Except for katmai.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 11:54:37 PM
The pail of pucks is literally that.  A pail, with 12 regulation hockey pucks in it.   :huh:

But he seemed happy with it, so who am I to complain.

Not sure what else to get him, I spied the book store near to the Canadian Tire.  Yi, I tried to find Asterix, but no luck.  I wandered around the kids book section, but since CC never gave me any titles, I was lost.  Eventually I bought him Artemis Fowl, because I've heard the name somewhere before, and found out the author is the same one who did the 6th HHGTTG book that I'm reading.  He also seemed pleased with that.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Except for katmai.

:o
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 11:54:37 PM
Eventually I bought him Artemis Fowl,

Good choice, it's about a child criminal mastermind. :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 11:54:37 PMEventually I bought him Artemis Fowl, because I've heard the name somewhere before, and found out the author is the same one who did the 6th HHGTTG book that I'm reading.  He also seemed pleased with that.

QuoteArtemis Fowl is a series of novels written by Irish author Eoin Colfer, starring a teenage criminal mastermind named Artemis Fowl II. Artemis, the main character, is a ruthless and extremely intelligent young criminal whose main goal is the acquisition of money through a variety of often illegal schemes

Barrister

Admiral Yi

Pucks make a lot of sense, pucks in a pail make sense if you think a little, but why would a person in need of a pail of pucks direct himself to a store called Canadian Tire?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2010, 12:33:30 AM
Pucks make a lot of sense, pucks in a pail make sense if you think a little, but why would a person in need of a pail of pucks direct himself to a store called Canadian Tire?

You've never heard of Canadian Tire?

It's a major retailer up here.  Part automotive parts and repair, part hardware store, part home and garden stuff, and part sporting goods store.  There's no real American equivalent to the particular mix of products they sell.

www.canadiantire.ca

sbr

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 20, 2010, 10:38:33 PM
Ooh, a pocket knife would be good too; I think I got my first one around 10 years old.
he's in Yukon, so that's a pocket knife for them:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2010, 12:30:42 AM
Yes, I read the back cover.  And?
you'll have to prosecute him a few years down the road, and when asked why he did it, he'll tell the story about his "uncle BB" who gave him a wonderful book for his 10th birthday.  Don't anybody think of the children anymore??

At least, if you had sticked with Harry Potter, he would have simply tried becoming a wizzard.  Much less dangerous.  Except if you live in some souther US state.
:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: viper37 on January 21, 2010, 01:03:33 AM
he's in Yukon, so that's a pocket knife for them:

I received one of those Rambo knives as a gift when I was his age

Barrister

As pointed out, this is the Yukon.  He's had a leatherman knife for awhile.  It was probably bought at Canadian Tire.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2010, 12:38:22 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2010, 12:33:30 AM

You've never heard of Canadian Tire?

It's a major retailer up here.  Part automotive parts and repair, part hardware store, part home and garden stuff, and part sporting goods store.  There's no real American equivalent to the particular mix of products they sell.

www.canadiantire.ca

That link is great.  An angle grinder and meat grinder both on teh same page.

DisturbedPervert

Sounds like Sears

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 21, 2010, 02:13:24 AM

Sounds like Sears

Sears won't change the oil in your car.  Canadian Tire doesn't sell much clothing, and certainly isn't the place to buy, say, a bra.