Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Alexandru H. on January 17, 2010, 04:14:13 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2010, 11:52:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 09:27:44 PM
It's a legitimate point.  Rioting and shooting after a natural disaster don't make things any better and they hinder the people trying to help you.

But it's not a black or white issue, level Stockholm and leave the survivors for days without food or water and the same violent behavior will ensue.

You can't see the fucking difference between a civilized city and Haiti  :wacko:
Ah, I forgot, Swedes are glowing balls of light that will en masse endure slow death by untreated injury, thirst and starvation with grace and dignity. :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Stockholm is not on trial here. Haiti is. And America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Josquius

Seems my comment about moving them to the US was heard by someone...Not who the Haitans would have preferred but err...weird.
To Africa!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8463921.stm
██████
██████
██████

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Tyr on January 17, 2010, 07:14:42 AM
Seems my comment about moving them to the US was heard by someone...Not who the Haitans would have preferred but err...weird.
To Africa!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8463921.stm

To Senegal, to be more precise. A Muslim majority country at the edge of Sahara. Yes lets move a couple of 100K Roman Catholics and voodoo practitioners to Senegal and give them a whole region, That will work out just fine... :rolleyes:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Josquius

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on January 17, 2010, 07:31:53 AM

To Senegal, to be more precise. A Muslim majority country at the edge of Sahara. Yes lets move a couple of 100K Roman Catholics and voodoo practitioners to Senegal and give them a whole region, That will work out just fine... :rolleyes:
I doubt the offer will be taken up but it woudl be pretty darn funny to see....
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Someone is angry. :lol:

http://www.slate.com/id/2241545/
QuoteHaitian Nitpicking Bonus No. 1: Why the goddamn hell is Barack Obama writing the cover story for next week's Newsweek (which, like Slate, is owned by the Washington Post Co.)? He doesn't know anything about Haiti outside of what his aides may have told him. He won't even write it! If the piece is worth publishing, Newsweek should give the byline to its true author.

I thought him writing that is odd as well. He is kind of busy after all. Though I would hope that he would already know a bit about Haiti given his Harvard education.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Queequeg

Anyone know what Haitian food is like? I wouldn't object to tons of Haitians moving to the states for if it will seriously reduce pressure on Haiti's environment for a while.  Besides, if it is anything like Cuban, Cajun or French, I'm sure I will like it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Slargos on January 17, 2010, 10:22:48 AM
Man, that's nasty, Penguin.  :yucky:
It doesn't make you hungry?  Means you aren't a zombie.  That's good.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2010, 08:48:31 AM
I thought him writing that is odd as well. He is kind of busy after all. Though I would hope that he would already know a bit about Haiti given his Harvard education.
No politician ever writes their own articles.  In the UK it's quite common for ministers and even the Prime Minister to write articles every now and then about different issues.  Sometimes it's used to defend existing policy (Alastair Darling), advance an argument (Blair , Cameron) and sometimes to position the pol for the internal party battles (Purnell, Miliband).  Is it not done in the US?
Let's bomb Russia!

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Queequeg on January 17, 2010, 11:13:26 AM
Anyone know what Haitian food is like? I wouldn't object to tons of Haitians moving to the states for if it will seriously reduce pressure on Haiti's environment for a while.  Besides, if it is anything like Cuban, Cajun or French, I'm sure I will like it.

Be prepared for some human dishes. They are on the verge of becoming proficient in preparing them.

Maximus

I've had Dominican Republic food, but it was a while ago. No idea if it's similar. All I remember was a lot of fried vegetables and cider vinegar.

Neil

Wait a minute.  You're in favour of a mass influx of Haitians on environmental grounds?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2010, 03:39:16 PM
Wait a minute.  You're in favour of a mass influx of Haitians on environmental grounds?
Massive depopulation is one of the few likely ways that Haiti can be salvaged.  Massive war or disaster is the less humane option, and corpses don't send useful remittances back home.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."