News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 17, 2010, 05:58:44 PM
France might be better off with black-skinned crypto-Catholics than black-skinned Muslims, as far as social cohesion goes.
Crypto-Catholics who already speak French.  Kind of.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 17, 2010, 07:07:48 PM
But besides, I think Haiti is in some sense a special case, as there is plenty of forest just across the border in the Dominican Republic.  Just have a hyper-aggressive re-forestation program throughout the border region, combined with education in family planning and emigration.  Probably Haiti's only long-term hope.
How will reforestation help Haiti?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2010, 07:11:24 PM
1) Tourism
2) Bring nutrients back to land
3) Reduce effects of mudslides and storms
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on January 17, 2010, 05:58:10 PM

To elaborate further:

Haiti, 1984: 5 million
2010: 7 million

And to compare:
Sweden, 1984: 8.3 million
2010: 9.3 million

Haiti has 9 million people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Lt. General Keen says that estimates of 150-200,000 are a start point. :(

video here
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/01/keen-on-death-toll-prepared-for-the-worst-150000-to-200000-a-start-point.html

I'm not surprised since it seems to mean that previous estimates were only for the capital while cities and towns for a 100-200 miles were also devastated.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on January 17, 2010, 07:12:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2010, 07:11:24 PM
1) Tourism
2) Bring nutrients back to land
3) Reduce effects of mudslides and storms
1) You don't need forests to build heavily guarded resorts.
2) Ususable nutrients.
3) Now that actually is useful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2010, 07:20:31 PM
Trusting the US military to acurately count the dead is unwise.  I wonder if they counted drag marks and blood trails?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2010, 07:21:40 PM
Trusting the US military to acurately count the dead is unwise.  I wonder if they counted drag marks and blood trails?

:rolleyes:
This isn't Vietnam.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Only if they put the Ace of Spades on each body.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2010, 07:23:05 PM
This isn't Vietnam.
Same retarded military.  Same retarded mentality.

Josephus

True. American casualty estimates are normally a lot lower than the actual.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

Quote from: Queequeg on January 17, 2010, 07:07:48 PM

I don't really want to argue with you as you are a racist retardI obviously can't, since here you I am just very obviously wrong.

FYP.

QuoteImmigrants send money to their home countries, take themselves and their children out of the overpopulated area, and can also bring with them ideas and some of the culture from the new country; look at the American impact on southern Italy and Sicily, or almost all of Mexico. 

You're using two regions riddled with organized crime as your supporting argument?  :lmfao:

You MAYBE have a point about the sending money home, but then you will have to show that it actually happens on a large enough scale to make a real difference in the originating country's economy.

Somalia sees about USD700 million every year in hawala transferrals from UK for instance, but much (most?) of it presumably ends up in the pockets of warlords and terrorists with little improvement in sight.

QuoteBut besides, I think Haiti is in some sense a special case, as there is plenty of forest just across the border in the Dominican Republic.  Just have a hyper-aggressive re-forestation program throughout the border region, combined with education in family planning and emigration.  Probably Haiti's only long-term hope.

I don't disagree that many third world countries suffer under the weight of overpopulation given their poor infrastructures and inability to maintain a good lifestyle for their populations.

I think you're bumfuck retarded for believing that taking one individual out of thirdworldistan means that they have one less mouth to feed, rather than as in reality simply get more room to pop out more thirdworldistanis.

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2010, 07:16:29 PM
Quote from: Slargos on January 17, 2010, 05:58:10 PM

To elaborate further:

Haiti, 1984: 5 million
2010: 7 million

And to compare:
Sweden, 1984: 8.3 million
2010: 9.3 million

Haiti has 9 million people.

I stand corrected. It only makes my point the more strong, however.

The regrowth potential of these populations is obviously tremendous, especially considering all the talk of starvation and poverty.

Any population that can be more than doubled in a generation is obviously not starving, and moving large portions of it elsewhere without also somehow curtailing the room for regrowth (perhaps with a programme of enforced sterilization? Queequeg? Perhaps that could work? Humane enough for you?) will simply create a situation where some other nation has to feed that group, and the original problem will be back in short order.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2010, 07:25:35 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2010, 07:23:05 PM
This isn't Vietnam.
Same retarded military.  Same retarded mentality.
The military was comprehensively reformed after the war.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2010, 07:57:05 PM
The military was comprehensively reformed after the war.
Yep.  But it's still the same military, and still rather inept.