And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

Ed Anger

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 16, 2010, 04:58:50 PM
I received the oportunity to volunteer to go to Haiti, but I can't as I will be gone for a month on another operation already.  :ph34r:
I did tell them I know a few people on the internet that would gladly take my place.  ;) You all will receive your orders soon enough.

I've noticed they are peeling off bits of the 88th SFS from Wright Patt to go over there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 03:48:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2010, 11:25:26 AM
I was also Haiti'd out after seeing the report on CNN on how the UN truck giving out the biscuits was mobbed, and the biscuits were stomped on, because a couple of idiots mistakenly thought they were expired.  The truck had to make a quick getaway without unloading most of its stuff.  That place is like the Somalia of the Americas.
My sympathy took a hit when I saw a report on CNN that the tent hospital where CNN's own Sanjay Gupta was helping out had to pack up and move out of fears of nearby rioting and gun fire.
Why? This kind of desperate situation will cause a breakdown in order anywhere. I've been impressed that it took this long to get out of control.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Alexandru H. on January 16, 2010, 06:27:47 PM
And  your point is...

I don't think that's a requirement for a Queequeg post.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Sure, we can go on fixing the symptoms if that's what people want. Or we could solve the root problem: plate tectonics. I know what I vote for.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2010, 07:41:37 PM
Sure, we can go on fixing the symptoms if that's what people want. Or we could solve the root problem: plate tectonics. I know what I vote for.

measuring head sizes?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 16, 2010, 07:39:15 PM
And  your point is...

I don't think that's a requirement for a Queequeg post.

I'm surprised he hasn't linked it yet to the Antioch earthquake and Roman-Persian relations of the 7th century.

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 16, 2010, 07:43:08 PM

measuring head sizes?

Thank you. Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I think that continental drift is far more valuable than the lives of a few million third-worlders.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

And  your point is...
That was an incredibly foolish, racist post, and I treated it with the respect it deserved.   :)
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

It's a legitimate point.  Rioting and shooting after a natural disaster don't make things any better and they hinder the people trying to help you.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 09:27:44 PM
It's a legitimate point.  Rioting and shooting after a natural disaster don't make things any better and they hinder the people trying to help you.
True.  I believe it is the racial assumptions going on here though. Any society is gonna be three meals away from revolution.  I think in any American city we'd see civil breakdown begin within a few days of a major disaster and the elimination of authority. 
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2010, 10:02:21 PM
True.  I believe it is the racial assumptions going on here though. Any society is gonna be three meals away from revolution.  I think in any American city we'd see civil breakdown begin within a few days of a major disaster and the elimination of authority.
Like if there were an earthquake in San Francisco or a big fire in Chicago?