And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 14, 2010, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2010, 11:34:00 AM
Wonder how they will handle that since the Port is basically destroyed.

search "lighterage", we don't need ports or docks,

How does it work exactly?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

I did not think of looking at googles Images.

That's pretty cool.

How long can it go?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Slargos

Quote from: Siege on January 14, 2010, 12:25:09 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2010, 11:58:26 AM
Quote from: Slargos on January 13, 2010, 11:38:04 AMmud people
:huh:
They are already incredibly desperate.  If anything, a normal person would feel even worse for them.  Even if Haiti has made a lot of poor decisions, I don't think any nation deserves to be leveled with such a devastating earthquake. 

Also, you are a fantastically racist fuck and I hope you die in a fire.   

I think Slargos is worth more than several thousands of violent 3rd worlders that are barely self-aware.

:lol:

:cheers:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2010, 01:29:28 PM
I did not think of looking at googles Images.

That's pretty cool.

How long can it go?

Not sure, I don't have my cargo books with me, but I don't think there is a technical limit, just practical limits.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grallon

Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2010, 12:59:13 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2010, 01:51:52 PM
:Embarrass:
I pulled a Martinus.  How about "I hope you realize how much of an idiot you are Grallon will agree with you at some point in your life?"
FYPFY.

Still sore about my calling you out on your pseudo intellectual ambitions I see. :lol:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sahib

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2010, 09:16:54 AM
Wow, my love of Haiti has just risen a notch.
Its still well in negative numbers but anyway.
I didn't know anyone still did that

Only poor countries that Taiwan is bribing.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sahib on January 14, 2010, 01:54:58 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2010, 09:16:54 AM
Wow, my love of Haiti has just risen a notch.
Its still well in negative numbers but anyway.
I didn't know anyone still did that

Only poor countries that Taiwan is bribing.

And that China doesn't care or bother to out-bribe.

Maximus

I think Slargos is worth more than several thousands of violent 3rd worlders that are barely self-aware.
What makes you think that?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on January 14, 2010, 05:29:56 PM
What makes you think that?

Low self-esteem.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2010, 01:14:41 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 14, 2010, 12:30:55 PM
:blink:

:lol:

Gotta love the Siege persona.

:mad:  Are you saying that I am not for real?

Do push-ups, fucker!
Don't get up until I get tired of watching you push!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

This tragedy has hit me on a personal level. Whenver I google my full name, I would always get the archbishop of Haiti, who shares my namesake.

Well, he died.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

The Red Cross estimates 50,000 dead, which seems low to me given the size of the city. After all 80,000 were killed last year in the Chinese earthquake, and Chinese buildings, however deficient by western standards are certainly better than Haitian ones.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martim Silva

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2010, 06:49:25 PM
The Red Cross estimates 50,000 dead, which seems low to me given the size of the city. After all 80,000 were killed last year in the Chinese earthquake, and Chinese buildings, however deficient by western standards are certainly better than Haitian ones.

Not anywhere near a credible number. Our portuguese journalists have entered Haiti by land through the Dominican Republic, and they say that, as soon as one crosses the border* one starts to see bodies all over the place. They report literally thousands and thousands of bodies all over the road to Port-au-Prince, and they've not even reached the city yet.

Also, local communities are now burying their dead (they're used to function without a real Government, so they handle things on their own), so one may never truly know the exact number of dead nationwide.

*: They add that the Dominican Republic is just fine, but as soon as one crosses into Haiti things change dramatically. It's like a Fantasy Good/Evil frontier.

That said, Haiti was a barely-working state. It needed 9,000 UN troops just to keep things somewhat controlled. Now it really no longer exists. It's just the name of a region.

Can we take advantage of this catastrophe to say that these people cannot rule themselves and put them under some kind of UN control? They have a very poor track record when it comes to independence (the black populations of the Caribbean are the descendents of the original inhabitants of West Africa, who were overrrun by migrant tribes around the XVIth century and later sold by their conquerors as slaves for a wealthy profit - the current West Africans are the descendents of those invaders, not of the original peoples; those are in the Caribbean now).

EDIT: and in Louisiana, especially in New Orleans, which was settled by the French. Though Katrina may have changed it a bit now.

Heck, I'd even accept that the whole land be given to the US, and become something administratively similar to Puerto Rico.