Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

I don't think gunshots are anything unusual there

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 14, 2010, 05:29:10 AM
I don't think gunshots are anything unusual there
Most of the sources I'd read up to now, mentioned how calm it was. The peacekeepers also seem to have been useful, stomping down on crime successfully.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

Haitian ambassador responds to Pat Robertson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A2q60qg0WA

But you can't believe someone who made a pact with the devil

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 13, 2010, 11:12:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2010, 10:05:38 PM
This will be the world's finest humanitarian hour.

I think you're forgetting New Orleans

No, that was "America's greatest embarrassment".

HECKUVA JOB BROWNIE

jimmy olsen

Buildings really start shaking 14 seconds in and the first one comes down at 21 seconds, way too fast for most people to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHopCrs46U&feature=player_embedded
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2010, 05:13:22 AM
Looks like Anarchy is beginning to set in.

It's good to see life getting back to normal.

I would like to point out one thing: while Slargos is right in saying that people in the developed world usually do not give a rat's ass about disasters in the Third World, I suspect that this one may turn out to be different.

Why? Because the level of destruction is so great, that it affected not only the poorest areas, but also levelled the goverment/social buildings.

In effect, the nation (which already bordered on a failed state) ceased to exist.

This is a "civilization-ending" scenario very similar to that of many movies, and it fills the catastrophistic ideas of a great many people, so I think there will be a lot of attention given to Haiti, based on the same kind of morbid attraction that makes people go and watch crappy movies like "2012".

Caliga

Like all of the attention given to Somalia, which has been in a similar situation for like 20 years? :huh:

The difference between those two, for example, is that Haiti is much close to the United States and there is a much larger Haitian community here than there is a Somalian community.  Those two factors might cause us to pay more long-term attention to the Haiti disaster.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 14, 2010, 08:38:43 AM
Like all of the attention given to Somalia, which has been in a similar situation for like 20 years? :huh:

The difference between those two, for example, is that Haiti is much close to the United States and there is a much larger Haitian community here than there is a Somalian community.  Those two factors might cause us to pay more long-term attention to the Haiti disaster.
This is also a natural disaster rather than a man made one in Somalia.

Random fact - I read an article recently that claimed that Somalia had some of the best cell phone coverage in Africa.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grallon

One thing for sure - the media are having a field day.  A fat juicy tear-jerking story they'll be able to milk for several days/weeks.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on January 14, 2010, 09:11:19 AM
One thing for sure - the media are having a field day.  A fat juicy tear-jerking story they'll be able to milk for several days/weeks.
Yep.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2010, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 14, 2010, 08:38:43 AM

This is also a natural disaster rather than a man made one in Somalia.

Random fact - I read an article recently that claimed that Somalia had some of the best cell phone coverage in Africa.
They would, that is how the Al Quaeda backed rebel groups kept in communication right up to the withdrawal of US troops and beyond.
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 14, 2010, 12:57:28 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on January 14, 2010, 12:27:56 AM
Damn, I hope China doesn't go broke with that massive aid package!  :rolleyes:

Haiti recognizes Taiwan instead of Beijing, I'm surprised they got anything
Wow, my love of Haiti has just risen a notch.
Its still well in negative numbers but anyway.
I didn't know anyone still did that
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

So, is the US sending an Hospital Boat?

With every country sending supplies & physicians, it seems Haiti will become one of the country with the greateast Doctors to Patient ratio in the next few days.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2010, 09:20:53 AM
So, is the US sending an Hospital Boat?

The USNS Comfort, which is the reserve hospital ship on the East Coast.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive