News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawtalkers and NFL fans: to this thread!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 11, 2010, 09:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Hopefully, the London game shit would be scrapped. American football for Americans. And some Canucks.

None for Beeb however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2011, 07:04:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2011, 09:15:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2011, 08:12:29 AM
As they should not.  The 18 game schedule is an abomination.
How about a 17 game compromise?
The teams that don't get the extra home game would be mad.

Ding-ding. :yes:

An odd numbered game schedule would never fly.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2011, 06:17:05 PM
The principle argument I've heard from the owners for taking a bigger cut is they want to use the money to fund market expansion.  Seems to me the players might see that in their interest as well, with a possible compromise of getting a player rep on some sort of committee overseeing the expenditures.

Also vote no on expansion.  I think we should kill the preseason while we're at it.

You can't trust the owners to do anything right. They are a bunch of sneaky bastards that will keep on lying at everyturn until they are forced to share publicly their revenues.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 01:24:56 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on March 14, 2011, 12:32:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 10:41:09 AM

You know, there's a very successful pro football league that plays 18 games... :whistle:

No, no there is not.

http://www.cfl.ca/

:cool:

Didn't you say successful?   :P

Janitors make more money than your players, no really.  :XD:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Gaius Marius

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 15, 2011, 12:02:28 AM

Does keep the ticket prices down for the average fan, and its not a league of overpaid bums compared to the big 4.  :)
First Man in Rome

Barrister

Quote from: Gaius Marius on March 15, 2011, 01:19:14 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on March 15, 2011, 12:02:28 AM

Does keep the ticket prices down for the average fan, and its not a league of overpaid bums compared to the big 4.  :)

I thought about taunting Alci on just this basis - the CFL, by keeping player salaries low, makes ticket prices very affordable.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing some CFL games eonce I move back south.  Hell I might even buy season tickets - it's just that I hate the Eskimos so very, very much...   :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Just schedule so that they all get one every other year and add another by week for health reasons. Cut two preseason games as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 01:38:10 AM
I thought about taunting Alci on just this basis - the CFL, by keeping player salaries low, makes ticket prices very affordable.

Semi-pro American football, buy not paying players at all, makes tickets even more affordable than CFL football. :contract:

Plus, it is more successful than CFL, with over 1,000 teams.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 05:27:08 AM

Semi-pro American football, buy not paying players at all, makes tickets even more affordable than CFL football. :contract:

I got a free uniform!  :contract: :yeah:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

JacobL

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2011, 01:54:00 AM
Just schedule so that they all get one every other year and add another by week for health reasons.

That's just a stupid idea.  The only way to make a schedule with an odd number of games work would be to have each team play a neutral-site game each year.  And to be fair, it would have to be a true neutral site, say Devner vs. New England in Chicago, not something like Cincinnati vs Baltimore at Annapolis.

Barrister

That's all well and good.  :)

But what does it have to do with my original point - that there is a very successful pro football league that plays an 18 game schedule?

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 11:46:52 AM

But what does it have to do with my original point - that there is a very successful pro football league that plays an 18 game schedule?

The argument is whether or not the CFL can reasonably be labelled "successful".  A point was made that the CFL is affordable.  The counter-example of US semi-pro leagues offering affordable games show that you can't judge the success of a business venture by the affordabiltiy of its product.

The CFL is successful in Canada, I suppose, but it's attempt a while back to expand into the US was a terrible failure.  To US football fans, just a place where college footbball players without the talent to make it in the NFL and without the foresight to actually get an education in college go to play.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on March 15, 2011, 12:28:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 11:46:52 AM

The argument is whether or not the CFL can reasonably be labelled "successful".  A point was made that the CFL is affordable.  The counter-example of US semi-pro leagues offering affordable games show that you can't judge the success of a business venture by the affordabiltiy of its product.

The CFL is successful in Canada, I suppose, but it's attempt a while back to expand into the US was a terrible failure.  To US football fans, just a place where college footbball players without the talent to make it in the NFL and without the foresight to actually get an education in college go to play.

US expansion was a terrible, terrible disaster, without a doubt (with the one exception of Baltimore).

But the league is doing very well these days.

I don't think you can judge the success of a league based on how much it pays its players, by the way.  The NFL is not successful merely because it pays its players millions of dollars.