News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawtalkers and NFL fans: to this thread!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 11, 2010, 09:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

So I guess the NFLPA has decertified today.

Can someone help me out on why they would follow this tactic?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Speaking of NFL and the law...looks like lockout will be happening, as NLFPA was applying for decertification.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 05:44:20 PM

So the players can start a suing.

katmai

By decertifying, the union clears the way for individual players to file antitrust lawsuits against the NFL, which opted out of the CBA in 2008. It renounced its right to represent the players in contract bargaining.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on March 11, 2011, 05:45:31 PM

By decertifying, the union clears the way for individual players to file antitrust lawsuits against the NFL, which opted out of the CBA in 2008. It renounced its right to represent the players in contract bargaining.

WHy couldn't the NFLPA file such suits?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

QuoteDecertification would allow the players to act as a trade organization instead of a union, which would allow a lawsuit if the owners lock them out next March. The league would then likely countersue and claim that the decertification is simply a move to gain entry to the antitrust laws the union does not currently enjoy.

katmai

QuoteMINNEAPOLIS (AP)—MVP Tom Brady(notes), Peyton Manning(notes) and Drew Brees(notes) are among the players who filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL on Friday to prevent a lockout.

Just after the players' union decertified, the star quarterbacks and seven other players filed suit against the NFL in U.S. District Court, seeking class-action against the league. They also filed a request for an injunction that would keep the NFL and the teams from engaging in a lockout.

The collective bargaining agreement with the league expires at the end of Friday.

Also involved in bringing the lawsuit: San Diego receiver Vincent Jackson(notes), Minnesota linebacker Ben Leber(notes) and defensive end Brian Robison(notes), New England guard Logan Mankins(notes), New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora(notes), Kansas City linebacker Mike Vrabel(notes), and Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller, who is entered in this year's draft.

"The torch has been passed to a young Aggie who has decided to put his name on a lawsuit," Smith said.

Manning, Jackson and Mankins are free agents. The Colts tagged Manning as a franchise player, while the Chargers did the same with Jackson and the Patriots with Mankins. The union is disputing the validity of those tags.

The players allege that the NFL conspired to deny the players' ability to market their services.

Ed Anger

Tom Brady has long hair and looks like a girl.

Neil

Quote from: katmai on March 11, 2011, 06:04:17 PM
QuoteDecertification would allow the players to act as a trade organization instead of a union, which would allow a lawsuit if the owners lock them out next March. The league would then likely countersue and claim that the decertification is simply a move to gain entry to the antitrust laws the union does not currently enjoy.
Well, the NFL is right, aren't they?  The whole thing is a ploy and they'll recertify as soon as the lawsuits run their course, just like they did before.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I got a letter from Roger today!

QuoteDear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players' financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell

jimmy olsen

Fuck him, I hope the players clean his clock.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point