News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Triumph of Chaos, an AAR

Started by CountDeMoney, January 10, 2010, 09:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

OK, you cockmonkeys.  I'm actually playing wargames.

We're playing this FTF on my dining room table, so it'll only be updated when we fucking play.  So don't give me any shit with Berkutesque "zomg we need 3 turns a day or else you're flaking out" bullshit.  We both work for a living.

Started playing the TOC campaign last night, with the Comrade Guide's new units and we're using Leadership Cards instead of the basic Leadership factors. 

Naturally, I chose RED. Major Joey is playing WHITE.  Major Joey hates Communists with a passion.  I adore my commie pinkos, especially when they're whacking Nazis, but since this is the RCW, whacking monarchists is the next best thing.

Set up according to plan.  It's 1918, the Central Powers are still running about, the RED has primacy in the north and central, with the WHITE controlling the south and eastern regions.

A brief synopsis of Turn 1:

During the Political Phase: 
Faction Control went heavy with Poland, the US and Britain going to WHITE Influence (Murmansk Expedition played heavy in that decision) as well as the Czech Legion, while Turkistan and Mahkno (:yeah:) goi to RED Influence. Ukraine and Finland land in RED control.

During the Action Phase:
WHITE decides to come straight out of the gate with an Event card, and decides to play "Czech Legion Commits", planting the Czech Legion squarely in his camp, adding the Gajda leader with Siberian troops in the Urals North, and delivering me the Mahkno faction.  Naturally, with the Central Powers still occupying the map,  Mahkno can't come into play but at least they're going to be there for me.

RED plays a Strategic Movement option, and transits Stalin with the 4th Red Army from Saratov to Millerovo;  I've decided to pursue a "Don First" strategy, and going to use Stalin and his minions in conjuction with Trotsky's presence in the south to shore up the line with the Cossacks and perhaps go on the offensive early.

WHITE drops another Action Card as an event, "Support for Yudenich", which not only enables his forces later on in 1919, but lands Estonia in WHITE control.

I get a little aggressive and play the "Switch Sides" card early, and I roll the dice to attempt to win over the Don Cossacks South army in Kamensk-Shakhtinsky, directly bordering Stalin and his forces, to JOIN THE REVOLUTION OR FUCKING DIE.  It fails.  Damn.  Obviously the Cossacks would prefer to pogrom Jews at this time.

WHITE plays a special action, and decides to utilize the IGSR Rail Construction option to build tracks in Iszevsk;  as the train is now in control of the Czech Legion, and he is going to have Czech Legion unit control the next turn, I suppose he's planning to move the gold and silver reserve WHICH IS THE PROPERTY OF THE RUSSIAN PIPPLES out of my reach sometime in the near future. 

RED decides it's time to bloody some Cossacks;  I declare a combat in the Don region with the newly arrived Stalin and his troops to teach the Don Cossacks army in Kamensk that wouldn't switch sides for me a lesson.   WHITE decides to utilize the nearby Cossack leader Krasnov to reinforce the defenders with another army.  Stalin gets repulsed in short order.  Actually, he gets his ass kicked.  The 4th Army is obliterated, and the remaining corp is reduced.  Oops.  Even thought I spent enough points to activate Trotsky and his boys in nearby Bela Kaltiva, I choose not to engage at this time.

WHITE decides to play an action card that garners Influence Points, and assigns them to the US, Britain and France;  the US and Britain are in his WHITE control, and France is WHITE influenced, so I believe he wants to make sure that once foreign intervention is a possibility, he wants them in the mix at the start.

Still smarting from Stalin's first loss as a military leader, as RED I spend my round action buying RS points, and I get 2.

WHITE plays a Propaganda special action, and gets the NO ACT counter removed from a Siberian troop stack in the Urals.

For shits and giggles, I attempt to play a Propaganda special action to land a NO ACT on another Don Cossacks unit in the south.  It fails.  DAMN YOU TROTSKY WRITE BETTER.

Logistics Phase:
WHITE doesn't accomplish anything, and I spend my two RS points to purchase the leader Koroshilov for future operations, and place him with the 10th Red Army in Tsaritsyn.  He's in Stalin's Camp, so I want him closeby to Stalin as well as the Don front.

So that's the summation for Turn 1.  WHITE's got his mojo going for the Brits and the US, he's enabled the very potent Czech Legion on his side---but I'm currying my favor for the Ukrainian factions and Mahkno for my side when the Central Powers decide to go home.

Turn Two will be tonight after the Ravens-Patriots game.  I'll figure out how to post pics using Vassal, or at least my digital camera.  When I feel like it.  If I feel like it.

CountDeMoney

Your collective lack of appreciation has been noted.  <_<

ulmont

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2010, 12:26:30 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

I don't play war games, either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Now, from your description it sounds like turn 1 was a disaster for the Reds.  Is that accurate, or am I reading too much into it?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: ulmont on January 10, 2010, 12:53:49 PM
Now, from your description it sounds like turn 1 was a disaster for the Reds.  Is that accurate, or am I reading too much into it?

Just a minor setback.  The first couple turns winds up being posturing.  So, while I suffered a defeat, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Turn 2 should become much more interesting as WHITE will be able to activate the Czech Legion, and perhaps have a chance at saving the Tsar.  I'm killing him as soon as I can.

ulmont

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2010, 12:56:24 PM
Turn 2 should become much more interesting as WHITE will be able to activate the Czech Legion, and perhaps have a chance at saving the Tsar.  I'm killing him as soon as I can.

Where does the Tsar start?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2010, 01:02:01 PM
Fuck Martinus
Fuck, fuck Martinus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBjQs07wbw

You could probably adapt the rest of the lyrics, but I leave that as an exercise for the listeners.

Barrister

You waited less than two hours, on a Sunday morning.   :rolleyes:

Cool pics, you commie bastard.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2010, 01:08:09 PM

You waited less than two hours, on a Sunday morning.   :rolleyes:

While some of the main wargamers were busy in EU3.  :rolleyes:

Tamas

Razgovory

Marty's ancestors would were probably rooting the Reds on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017