Andrew Sullivan: US should institute a 2 state solution by force

Started by jimmy olsen, January 07, 2010, 07:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Euro troops would join forces with hamas to shove jews into ovens.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2010, 02:41:25 PM
We already have a two-state solution.

Actually it is a three state solution, with Israel, Gaza (Hamas) and the West Bank (Fatah).

Careful what you wish for . . .

I take it your next avatar will be "Daniel Pipes" then?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Fate

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2010, 03:15:57 PM
Euro troops would join forces with hamas to shove jews into ovens.

I like the cut of your jib.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2010, 05:27:32 PM

Actually it is a three state solution, with Israel, Gaza (Hamas) and the West Bank (Fatah).

I take it your next avatar will be "Daniel Pipes" then?

My statement is descriptive, not proscriptive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2010, 03:07:31 PM
This isn't even remotely like a "civil war". There is no conflict within Israel; Israel in no way resembles Lebanon or former Yugoslavia. What this is, is Israel occupying bits of other countries (Gaza=Egypt; the WB=Jordan) that contain populations so fractious and ungovernable that their former owners don't want them back.
I don't think that Gaza can be considered part of Egypt - in fact the real blockade of Gaza is taking place because of the Egyptian, not the Israeli government's policy.  Similarly I don't think even the Jordanians now buy into Abdullah's goal of a greater Jordan.  Israel is occupying land that presents a fundamental problem for Israel as either a Jewish state or as a democracy - I think both are worth defending and ultimately require a two state solution.

QuoteHaving UN, UK, Euro, US soldiers (take yer pic) patroling Gaza will do exactly nothing to create "trust" and "compliance" by Hamas, and why should it? What exactly will the UK, US or UN  do if Hamas does what it always does? Threaten to root them out with massive force? I doubt it.
No, it's as problematic as, for example, trying to contain Hezbollah or intervening in any number of African states to enforce an international peace.

Edit:  Incidentally I'd note that Sullivan says he's only moving towards this position and my view would be that I'd support an international force operating in support of a peace deal, especially in Gaza, at least until the PA could build up the security forces necessary.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

This isn't even remotely like a "civil war". There is no conflict within Israel; Israel in no way resembles Lebanon or former Yugoslavia. What this is, is Israel occupying bits of other countries (Gaza=Egypt; the WB=Jordan) that contain populations so fractious and ungovernable that their former owners don't want them back. 
Agre about the civil war aspect - the mere assertion of it strikes me as somewhat suspicious.

West Bank and Gaza were never formally part of any state, which is one of the problems.  Their former owners were the Brits, who held them as part of the mandate.  They  are, as you note, hot potatoes that have burned everyone who tried to hold on to them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on January 07, 2010, 06:44:08 PM
Agre about the civil war aspect - the mere assertion of it strikes me as somewhat suspicious.

West Bank and Gaza were never formally part of any state, which is one of the problems.  Their former owners were the Brits, who held them as part of the mandate.  They  are, as you note, hot potatoes that have burned everyone who tried to hold on to them.

They were part of the Ottoman Empire.  :smarty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I mean it's like a civil war in that it presents the same challenges and problems that a civil war has, as opposed to an interstate wa, in sustaining a peace deal.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 06:47:26 PM
They were part of the Ottoman Empire.  :smarty:
Well, they were a bit annoying to the Sultan late in the Ottoman period.  The Ottomans were happy to sell vast swathes of modern Israel to the Zionists, but found the idea of an independent territory there to be understandably unpleasant.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

QuoteI too am sick of the Israelis for their contempt for the interests of their most important ally, their continuation of brutalizing colonization of the West Bank, their shameless ethnic engineering in East Jerusalem, their pulverization of Gaza, the direct manipulation of domestic American politics by their ambassador, and on and on. And, yes, I'm also sick of the war crimes and theocratic insanity of Hamas, and the lame passive-aggression of the PA, and the inability of the Palestinian leadership to prepare for actual governance as opposed to the victimized preening and theatrics and violence they prefer to the difficult compromises required if we are to move forward.

This part I agree with, but the solution makes no sense. If you're sick of both of them, why the hell would you want to militarily intervene to forcibly separate them? Just cut them both loose and let them kill each other.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 07, 2010, 07:25:52 PM
This part I agree with, but the solution makes no sense. If you're sick of both of them, why the hell would you want to militarily intervene to forcibly separate them? Just cut them both loose and let them kill each other.
Yeah, Andy didn't think it through.  If there's nothing but downside you dump your losses and walk away.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2010, 06:49:33 PM
I mean it's like a civil war in that it presents the same challenges and problems that a civil war has, as opposed to an interstate wa, in sustaining a peace deal.
I think the challenge is more like that of the indeterminate border variety than the civil war variety, but if by "civil war" you mean African tribal-based civil wars due to the artificiality of the borders, then I suppose the analogy might have some utility.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2010, 08:02:18 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 07, 2010, 07:25:52 PM
Yeah, Andy didn't think it through.  If there's nothing but downside you dump your losses and walk away.
I don't think there is any thinking reflected in this piece.  It seems purely polemical to me.

Bayraktar!

Siege

Four states solution, actually.

Israel, Jordan, Gaza, and the West Bank.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2010, 11:23:10 AM
I see where Sullivan's coming from (generally I like him) not least because this issue is more like a civil war than a normal war.

Anti-semitic Europeans would, because it validates Palestinian terrorism as "not really terrorism".