News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I'll post the navy and army stuff later, but it hasn't really changed much--the same people are at the top, I believe.

The largest shift was in Spain finally squeaking out a lead in the economy--not surprising, considering their vast colonial empire starting to grow valuable as the various New World products gain in desirability.

Of course, as the tech screen shows... :

They have quite a ways to go.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The biggest change for me this session (aside from an expanded army and the steady growth of my Far East colonial holdings) was the death of the long-lived Valois line in favor of...the Bourbons!  :gasp:  They came about due to a noble election after the old Valois king died heirless (he had two heirs, but they both kicked off relatively quickly, unfortunately), which leads me to my current position--my Legitimacy being at 83%, all the way up from the 20% it started at.  The Bourbons quickly cemented their rule...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Portugal after tragic hunting accident killed the Trastmara heir toyed with Habsburg, Bourbons but finally settled on Trastamara's to lead the kingdom.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on March 21, 2010, 06:08:34 PM
I'll post the navy and army stuff later, but it hasn't really changed much--the same people are at the top, I believe.

I doubt that seriously.  Please post.

Tamas

Oh yeah I am sleepy, I remembered what I thought was alliance during the session and figured out (during the session) I was wrong.  :Embarrass:

Still, since I am behind in smashing AI minors I am free to vent:

It is well known everyone just let Austria swallow Germany and Poland, now they are going for Italy, no one is doing anything. I tried once, got all the heat for it, won't do it again.

Seemingly, because I am of course left out of these as non-applicable power, there is a division of the world among the maritime powers. But why and how? France is unopposed in colonizing/conquering SE Asia (apart from Sweden racing with them), while UK and Portugal slices up India, but why is that a British interest its beyond me, since if they manage to make France happy over just receiving some provinces here and there out of the region, why the need to cater for Portugal, especially when there is no good reason for Spain to back them, since while Spain is completely left out of the whole Asia deal (oh sorry you got Hawaii I think), Portugal is eating up all of South America like it is nobody's business.

And it's not like Russia is raising a voice over the UK being about 2 years worth of wars from his core lands, why bother? :rolleyes:

I am not advocating war at this point. I just dont see how it got here.

katmai

Portugal is allied to UK and Spain, and since no one has tried any diplomacy at all I don't see that changing... Unless the English get tired of being neighbors in India or Spanish in South America that is.

Kleves

Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2010, 06:04:32 PM
I was not aware I had an alliance with Austria.
Our alliance is from when I intervened to save Russia from being annexed by Poland. Surely you remember.  ;)
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2010, 06:18:05 PM
Portugal is allied to UK and Spain, and since no one has tried any diplomacy at all I don't see that changing... Unless the English get tired of being neighbors in India or Spanish in South America that is.

Well yeah, this is actually a good run from you. By the time your rivals wake up you will be a force to be recon with, so good going there.

katmai

Tamas I was Allied with Naples till they went batshit crazy and annexed Switzerland.
Again it seems to me folks must be pro-active with diplomacy (hence why Spain isn't in east Asia, and South America is evenly split amongst Port/Spain.

Habbaku

If you're concerned about Austria dominating Italy (and you should be), then you need to talk to Alci.  He's the only thing stopping me from doing something to check the Emperor's growth and preventing the Italian states being gobbled up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2010, 06:17:41 PM
It is well known everyone just let Austria swallow Germany and Poland, now they are going for Italy, no one is doing anything. I tried once, got all the heat for it, won't do it again.
Quick, how many Polish provinces do I have? How many Italian provinces did I take this session? How many overall provinces? The answers: 0, 0, and 1, respectively.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2010, 06:17:41 PM
And it's not like Russia is raising a voice over the UK being about 2 years worth of wars from his core lands, why bother? :rolleyes:

If the UK wants to take over the shitty lands between it and Russia, I'm sure Russia is willing to cheer them on.

Kleves

Quote from: Habbaku on March 21, 2010, 06:25:27 PM
If you're concerned about Austria dominating Italy (and you should be), then you need to talk to Alci.  He's the only thing stopping me from doing something to check the Emperor's growth and preventing the Italian states being gobbled up.
Interesting that Europe is still willing to buy this line. I am certain that French territory, economic power, and military might grew far more than Austria's this session, and yet the French are still able to frighten Europe into inaction by raising the spectre of Austria.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on March 21, 2010, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 21, 2010, 06:25:27 PM
Interesting that Europe is still willing to buy this line. I am certain that French territory, economic power, and military might grew far more than Austria's this session, and yet the French are still able to frighten Europe into inaction by raising the spectre of Austria.

Dude look at the map :P

katmai

I did and it shows clearly the biggest global menace is....Sweden!!!