News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Ottoman Empire is now Westernized, survived a very mild civil war, and with the income of two CoTs money is flowing in on acceptable scale.

We will need a sub for katmai next week because the week after that, I'll be in Barcelona so we should not skip two weeks.

Solmyr

How the fuck do I have a higher income than Spain? :huh:

In other news, British inflation has gone down from 15% to around 10% this session, with advisors and the newly instituted national bank working overtime to reduce it. Meanwhile, the Tudor dynasty died out, so there shall be no more Kings named Henry. The British Parliament chose the Protestant Austrian noble Maximilian von Habsburg to lead the British, thus establishing family ties between Great Britain and Austria. Whether this will reflect in any way on British continental policies (or lack thereof) remains to be seen. Maximilian followed the example of his Spanish cousins in appointing a female heir, his daughter Anne (luckily Anne seems to be more capable than Juana the Mad of Castile).

On the colonial front, the Creek and the southern Huron lands have been incorporated into the British Empire, and the Cherokee are widely regarded as the next likely target. French expansion to the mouth of the Mississippi has been viewed with some concern in London. Also, the first British African colony, Whydah, has been founded as a stepping stone to further eastern expansion.

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on February 28, 2010, 03:17:57 PM

Trade income and tariff efficiency.  I predict that, next session, Alci will be above you by a good margin.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alcibiades

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2010, 03:13:47 PM
Ottoman Empire is now Westernized, survived a very mild civil war, and with the income of two CoTs money is flowing in on acceptable scale.

We will need a sub for katmai next week because the week after that, I'll be in Barcelona so we should not skip two weeks.

I'll be in Colorado that week as well, and won't be able to make it either - just to reiterate. 
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Alcibiades

Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2010, 03:35:50 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on February 28, 2010, 03:17:57 PM

Trade income and tariff efficiency.  I predict that, next session, Alci will be above you by a good margin.

Yeah I was surprised when I saw your income Sol, good for you.  But yeah as Habs said, my income should pick up nicely next session when I finish the subjugation of the Incas and convert them to the True Faith.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Kleves

Would it be possible to get some screen shots of the graphs (especially army/navy/economy)?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Alcibiades

Berkut

Well, as expected my utter noobishness is apparent. Still dead last in income, tiny army, no navy. Spent most of the session putting down constant revolts.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alcibiades

Berkut

That is really annoying that this fucking board will display a table perfectly in the edit screen, but fuck it up when it actually posts.

0 rows returned

Kleves

Quote from: Berkut on February 28, 2010, 09:18:57 PM
That is really annoying that this fucking board will display a table perfectly in the edit screen, but fuck it up when it actually posts.
It was a valiant effort, at least.  :thumbsup:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

I did a little analysis of the income numbers, as they have changed since the last session.

Here are the numbers from Jan 1559:

Here is income expressed as a percentage of the leaders income - IE, how far are you away from the winner?

Habs and Kleves are clearly running away with the game here, with everyone else have roughly half their income.

Here are the numbers at the end of the current session:

Here we can see - who is catching up, if anyone is?

Obviously, Great Britain is the HUGE winner here, going from less than half of the leaders income to nearly 75%. Austria has slipped just a little bit, but not much. However, they are the only country who did not at least improve a little bit against the standard France has set. Spain has also seen a rather impressive move.

Of course, change doesn't mean much when the two leaders are still way, way, WAY out in front.

My poor Russia has improved, but not really by all that much. We continue to suck the hind tit.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Can someone explain inflation to me, as far as the game is concerned anyway?

I don't really see how it works, or what the levers on it are - but I do note that both Austria and France have a zero inflation.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on February 28, 2010, 09:41:13 PM
Can someone explain inflation to me, as far as the game is concerned anyway?

I don't really see how it works, or what the levers on it are - but I do note that both Austria and France have a zero inflation.

Inflation accrues based upon a few factors : gold provinces in comparison to income (lots of gold vs. non-gold = inflation), minting (adjusting your treasury slider past the 0 marker), and negative events.  Of the three, the only one that you ever need to concern yourself with if you aren't Spanish is minting.  Moving past the 0 marker on your treasury slider will give you progressively more money as you push it past, but will also increase inflation by a variable--the max being 1%/year if you put the slider at its highest point.

What it does is increase the cost of everything--tech, ship cost, buildings, troop raising, etc.--by the equivalent percentage.  In other words, if you have, say, 10% inflation, your tech costs are going to be increased commensurately, leading to quite a bit of stagnation.  On the converse, everyone will need minting at one time or another for a variety of reasons.  I, myself, tend to keep the treasury slider at the .10 point so that I don't gain any inflation, but that I'm minting enough to gain a considerable amount of money over the course of a year.  I find that minting a small amount like that enables me to stockpile a nice amount of gold for future building while taking only a minor amount out of my tech investments.  YMMV.

I suggest, however, that if you're above 0% inflation, that you keep your treasury slider at nil so that it goes away ASAP.  After that, you can afford to bring it up to the .10 level or beyond, depending on how much your National Bank and Centralization is counteracting it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien