News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Considering that Russia is ONE HUGE MOFUCKER, I am against the idea of you insta-optimizing them.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2010, 09:21:12 AM
Considering that Russia is ONE HUGE MOFUCKER, I am against the idea of you insta-optimizing them.

What woul you consider insta-optimizing though?

Isn't the Ottomans already vastly more optimized than what we are talking about?

Honestly, I don't WANT Russia to be optimized - that would be kind of boring. I would like to not have to deal with them being ridiculously poorly optimized though, and spending the first several sessions just trying to get them playable. I am perfectly willing to admit that I don't know the game well enough to understand where the line is though, hence my question. Is being able to set their national ideas (for example) to something a player would actually choose a huge difference? Of course, the game started in 1492, so I guess everyone else has had to deal with less than optimal initial idea settings as well.

I realize you are their nearest neighbor, and hence have a vested interest.

And they are freaking huge, aren't they? But man, I think there are like two countries that I have decent relations with. Most hate me with a burning passion.

I think us non-Westernized no Latin tech types need to stick together though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2010, 09:05:13 AM
TO be honest, I was mostly kidding about the Crimea - I just noticed they were on my border and vassalized. I don't actually know if that is bad for me or not - certainly I don't think Russia is in any state to be taking on any new wars for a while.

How can I check the sliders without actually having one to change? The only way I have managed to ever see the slider interface is by clicking on the little banner when I can make a change.

Click on you flag/shield in the top left of the screen, then click on the little book icon.  That will show you your sliders and NI's.

QuoteAlso - Westernizing. Habs mentioned that - could someone explain what that really means? I saw that it comes with a -5 stab hit - that is insane. Am I just going to get raped the moment I press that button?

The biggest advantage is it speed up your research.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Westernize

katmai

Regarding edits to Russia. I'd say take a look at what their NI were at 1492 start. I know I had some NI's that weren't ideal so had to bite the bullet of stab hits to change. Now if ai has added a new Ni since then maybe I could see that being edited.

Otherwise inflation edits seem fair, not so sure on slider changes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Sounds like a good proposal to me, Katmai.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on February 25, 2010, 12:35:15 PM
Regarding edits to Russia. I'd say take a look at what their NI were at 1492 start. I know I had some NI's that weren't ideal so had to bite the bullet of stab hits to change. Now if ai has added a new Ni since then maybe I could see that being edited.

Otherwise inflation edits seem fair, not so sure on slider changes.

Good point. What year is it now anyway?

Can we just edit the tech levels a little bit?

0 rows returned

Tamas

I dont want to screw up Berkut's game, but if you want to re-enact what the AI did with Russia in terms of speed of expansion, you would not be in a much better shape. And thats with no bad random events assumed.

I mean, when I became an Empire, my 0 stability caused two "poor government policy" events to fire in very quick succession. Thats a choice between -500 golds or -2 stability. Now, the first one just about put me to zero treasury so when the second one came I had to choose between imminent bankrupcy or -2 stability. I went with the latter and it took a LONG TIME to get it back. All the while I tried to keep up with the expansion carefully balancing my infamy.
And I am sure most of us had similar happenings so while I strongly advocate cutting back on Russian inflation, and fixing NIs like katmai suggest, other changes would be very unfair to us others, imho.

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2010, 12:46:29 PM

Good point. What year is it now anyway?

Can we just edit the tech levels a little bit?

1559 iirc
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Tamas does make a good point - Russia is huge, presumabkly because of the choices the AI made, so it would not be really fair to negate some of the negatives of those choices while leaving the positives.

I will be very content with a decrease in inflation, and getting to pick my own post 1492 NIs. The rest I will deal with as best I can.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Westeros would make such an incredibly awesome EU3 mod.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2010, 01:19:58 PM

Just delete all the countries not on the British Isles and call it a day.

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2010, 01:19:58 PM

It made a sucky Total War mod.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

OK, I just checked the NI thing.

Right now Russia has
National Conscripts
Merchant Adventurers
Military Drill

Military Drill is the only one they had added since 1492, and of course the one that I actually would probably want to keep.

Given the choice, I would ditch Merchants for National Bank.
If that is not acceptable, I would ditch MD for NB.

The sliders, to be honest, have all been moved since 1492 in rather sensible directions - not sure I would really do anything different than what the AI has already done. Should just leave them alone, I think. They were pretty attrocious in 1492, to be honest.

0 rows returned

Barrister

I can't believe you guys are buying the whole "oh I'm a total newb, please give me a break" line from Berkut.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Right, so, unless someone is opposed (Tamas?), we have the current changes to edit before Sunday :

Russian inflation -5%
Switch Russia's Merchant Adventures NI to National Bank

I think with those minor changes that things will be fine in the East.  Tamas has ultimate veto on whether to do the NI switch.

Assuming everything's kosher, Tamas should go ahead and make the change in preparation for Sunday.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien