News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Oh some nice talk about me going on while I sleep :P

To make the story nice and round: altough he did kept checking with me, Habs basic attitude toward this war was "well, join if you wish, but I will do it anyway". Arrogance toward Kleves? Could be. His big talk came to nothing. There was no progress by him whatsoever, except for a single spanish province won after a long time of fighting.

This was highly annoying because my entire warplan was not to conquer but to trigger a counterreaction from Austria so good old Habs could do his promised magic and pwn them. That counterattack I did get, in spades. Having not had the chance to westernize, it turned out I was in no shape to put up a resistance one-on-one.
So what I was seeing from where I was sitting, was a totally overwhelming Austrian offensive deep into my dear Balkans (at the time of peace, I had a single army of around 12k in Anatolia left) while no French progress worth speaking of.

of course, I could have blockaded Asia off and let Kleves sit in Istanbul, but -unlike Habbaku- I was fully aware just how small a force he needs to keep the sorry remnants of my army in check. I was not ready to ruin my economy for a war the French was poised to lose.

And when Kleves only asked for a single province.... He, who would refuse that when half of his country was under enemy control with his ally failing to gain ground, throw the first stone on me for the separate peace.

Tamas

As for the future Ottoman stance on Europe: we are done there. We intend to keep our present territories, and will fight a savage war on anyone who tries to take them, but with French inability to project power, we consider the Austrian mastery of Central Europe a done deal, and count on the German Emperor as future help against the Russian hordes which gather on the eastern horizon, like distant descendants of Timur Lenk.

Hearing news of the French-Austrian friendship makes us content, we will leave the two forming coalitions of western powers to fight each other, while we tend to our business of building cities and worshipping Allah.

Kleves

Disengaging from europe is all well and good, Turk- provided you cede to me the territories in Hungary guaranteed to me by our early treaty.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on February 16, 2010, 11:51:49 PM
Disengaging from europe is all well and good, Turk- provided you cede to me the territories in Hungary guaranteed to me by our early treaty.

Why? For security, you don't need them. For finances, you don't need them. The only reason you need them is to be closer to my heartlands for a war of agression, so no, I will not cede them.

Berkut

That Tams is a a tricksy hobbit!

Does he abide by ANY agreements he has made?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2010, 08:38:35 AM

WTF are you talking about? Its pretty rare I do not honor agreements.

What I did was perfectly in line with the game. (especially in the austro-turkish conflict over hungary, where both sides broke treaties on multiple occassions :P )
When we made the deal Austria was less than half of what it is today, I needed a buffer zone. I worked for peace, you know :P

Kleves

Given that you broke our long-standing agreement over Hungary (in an attempt to provoke war), and then invaded Austria, I do think there is a need for Austria to possess an adequete buffer in the east. Restoring the territories guaranteed to me by treaty would do this.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2010, 08:46:41 AM

It's pretty rare that people can get ahead by NOT honoring an agreement (most of the time agreements are made so both sides benefit from honoring them), so pointing out that you only lie occasionally doesn't really absolve you of anything, tricksy hobbit.

*I* personally, never break agreements. Unless I have to, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2010, 09:32:25 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2010, 08:46:41 AM

It's pretty rare that people can get ahead by NOT honoring an agreement (most of the time agreements are made so both sides benefit from honoring them), so pointing out that you only lie occasionally doesn't really absolve you of anything, tricksy hobbit.

*I* personally, never break agreements. Unless I have to, of course.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on February 17, 2010, 09:23:41 AM
Given that you broke our long-standing agreement over Hungary (in an attempt to provoke war), and then invaded Austria, I do think there is a need for Austria to possess an adequete buffer in the east. Restoring the territories guaranteed to me by treaty would do this.

I am open to negotiations but I urge to not jump to false conclusions from this last war of ours. If you push me to a corner, I won't be as easy to take down.

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2010, 09:55:20 AM

I am open to negotiations but I urge to not jump to false conclusions from this last war of ours. If you push me to a corner, I won't be as easy to take down.

:jaron:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Quote from: katmai on February 18, 2010, 02:44:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2010, 09:55:20 AM

:jaron:

:homestar:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

What is this noise from the far outskirts of western europe? :yeahright:

katmai

Portugal just questions the bluster coming from Istanbul when the last time they fought the Austrians they were smashed and that was when he was fighting a two front war.

Hasn't the Turk learned it isn't smart to go against the :pope: ?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on February 18, 2010, 03:00:59 AM
Portugal just questions the bluster coming from Istanbul when the last time they fought the Austrians they were smashed and that was when he was fighting a two front war.

Hasn't the Turk learned it isn't smart to go against the :pope: ?

All I was saying is that Austria should not assume that he achieved an unconditional surrender from me, because he did not.