News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Politics - Proroguing? Again?

Started by Jacob, December 31, 2009, 01:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I ran into an Albertan whiner the other day. Even more annoying than Quebec whiners.

As for the Wild Rose people, they're basically trying to be a conservative, anti-"political correctness" separatist party, right?

Barrister

They're not separatist.

They may be "firewall" type people, but that's as far as it goes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

And besdies, you've known Neil for years. :rolleyes:

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 01:57:37 PM
They're not separatist.

I talked to someone who'd gone to a few of their meetings and he said there were several separatists among them.  But I guess if it's not part of their platform, we shouldn't call them separatists.

As for Neil, he does many things but I can't recall him whining.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2010, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 01:57:37 PM
They're not separatist.

I talked to someone who'd gone to a few of their meetings and he said there were several separatists among them.  But I guess if it's not part of their platform, we shouldn't call them separatists.

As for Neil, he does many things but I can't recall him whining.

I have no doubt that there are separatist members of the Alliance.  New finge parties attract those types like moths to a flame.  Separatism is not a part of their platform however (and why would it, separation attracts 1-2% support in Alberta).

And fair enough.

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 04, 2010, 01:29:52 PM
Isn't Wild Rose a more gayly named Reform party?

Just the latest iteration of the "I'm more right then you are" crowd in Alberta.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 04, 2010, 02:19:38 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 04, 2010, 01:29:52 PM
Isn't Wild Rose a more gayly named Reform party?

Just the latest iteration of the "I'm more right then you are" crowd in Alberta.

The last numerous iterations haven't lead in the opinion polls however.  Nor have they had 3 MLAs.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 02:21:42 PM
The last numerous iterations haven't lead in the opinion polls however.  Nor have they had 3 MLAs.

How far away are the next elections?  Even the NPD here in BC leads in the polls between elections.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 04, 2010, 02:28:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 02:21:42 PM

How far away are the next elections?  Even the NPD here in BC leads in the polls between elections.

Oh, 3 years away.

I'm not saying that Stelmach is doomed.  But this is different from the numerous other right-wing parties spawned in the past.  I don't think any of them ever got above 10-15% in the polls.

Jacob

What's their schtick?  That Harper and Stelmach aren't true enough to rightist/ reformist principles?  You figure there'll be real competition in the Alberta provincial scene anytime soon or will the Cons just edge a bit right and co-opt them?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2010, 03:29:35 PM
What's their schtick?  That Harper and Stelmach aren't true enough to rightist/ reformist principles?  You figure there'll be real competition in the Alberta provincial scene anytime soon or will the Cons just edge a bit right and co-opt them?

Apparently their schtick is a calculated ambiguity at this point.  Seem rational enough to be credible, but give just enough appeal to the crazies so they'll donate / volunteer.  Go after Stelmach for raising oil and gas royalties (apparently the oil patch is in a slump, and everyone at least knows someone who works in the patch).  A general right wing patter of lower taxes / no deficits.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 03:32:15 PMApparently their schtick is a calculated ambiguity at this point.  Seem rational enough to be credible, but give just enough appeal to the crazies so they'll donate / volunteer.  Go after Stelmach for raising oil and gas royalties (apparently the oil patch is in a slump, and everyone at least knows someone who works in the patch).  A general right wing patter of lower taxes / no deficits.

I guess you're not in Alberta anymore so you don't have to decide if you're more Wild Rosy or whether you're a Con loyalist?  But what's your take?

Neil, what about you?

PRC

I spoke with Paul Hinman, the Wild Rose member who was elected in a by-election in Calgary, when he was campaigning for that election.  He was a well spoken conservative and I didn't see much difference between his party and the regular Alberta conservative party.  Their party leader is also articulate and she seems to know what she is doing.  The seperatist thing isn't on their charts at all, like BB said, a fringe element attaching themselves to a new party for the exposure.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2010, 03:34:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2010, 03:32:15 PMApparently their schtick is a calculated ambiguity at this point.  Seem rational enough to be credible, but give just enough appeal to the crazies so they'll donate / volunteer.  Go after Stelmach for raising oil and gas royalties (apparently the oil patch is in a slump, and everyone at least knows someone who works in the patch).  A general right wing patter of lower taxes / no deficits.

I guess you're not in Alberta anymore so you don't have to decide if you're more Wild Rosy or whether you're a Con loyalist?  But what's your take?

Neil, what about you?

I volunteered/was a member of the Manitoba PC Party 10 years ago, but other than that I've never been a PC guy.  Never done squat for the Alberta PCs (whereas I have volunteered/donated for Reform/Alliance/Conservatives).  So I have a definite soft spot for Wild Rose, but from afar I really can't say.  I would need to go to meetings, meet candidates, that sort of thing.

Jacob

Quote from: PRC on January 04, 2010, 08:53:56 PM
I spoke with Paul Hinman, the Wild Rose member who was elected in a by-election in Calgary, when he was campaigning for that election.  He was a well spoken conservative and I didn't see much difference between his party and the regular Alberta conservative party.  Their party leader is also articulate and she seems to know what she is doing.  The seperatist thing isn't on their charts at all, like BB said, a fringe element attaching themselves to a new party for the exposure.

So if there's not much of a difference... what's the difference?  :huh: