Episcopal Priest wants to be both a Christian and a Muslim at the same time

Started by Caliga, April 02, 2009, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2009, 12:56:11 PM
:lol:

Though here's something I don't know - an explaination as to why there are not new prophets in Judaism.

Prophecy as such ceased after Ezra's refoundation.  There was no longer a need for the office of Prophet to deliver the message of God directly because everything one needed to know about God's will could be discerned from the existing scripture and the law.  The prophets were replaced by scribes and sages.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 01:16:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 11:36:18 AM
Nope.  Islam has proclaimed Christianity for being polytheistic for that very reason.  Changing that view would go to the most important teaching of Islam that there is only one God.

So you bend around and say that God isn't really more than one person although he can manifest himself in the body of a person called Christ (after all, he is all powerful or something). You can also see that as being more than one person, whilst one God.

Not sure what you are saying.  You are only describing the mental gymnatastics Christians go through in explaining the Trinity.  What you are describing would be contrary to Islamic understanding of God who by Islams Definition cannot manifest himself in the body of another.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 01:30:13 PM
Not sure what you are saying.  You are only describing the mental gymnatastics Christians go through in explaining the Trinity.  What you are describing would be contrary to Islamic understanding of God who by Islams Definition cannot manifest himself in the body of another.
What you said to me was that there can't be two gods in Islam. Those mental gymnastics get around that. So there is specific language that God can't manifest himself in human form? 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 01:30:13 PM
What you said to me was that there can't be two gods in Islam. Those mental gymnastics get around that. So there is specific language that God can't manifest himself in human form?

There is only one God and Mohommad is his profit.  The clearest most straightforward creed of all the religions of the Book.  Some would also say the most simplistic but that is another debate.

It leaves no room for the machinations the Christians bedeviled themselves with over the centuries regarding the true nature of Christ and God.

There are so many problems with what you suggest that it would take too long to eductate you here.  I suggest you read up on the subject if you are really interested.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 01:36:31 PM
There is only one God and Mohommad is his profit.

Leaving out the tee-hee about profit, how does that contradict anything? Do Christians think that Christ and God equal two gods?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 01:33:21 PM

They don't get around it because the Trinity conceives of three persons sharing a single essence.  That violates the indivisibility of God under the Islamic tawhid - God is indivisible and can't manifest in multiple "persons" even if those persons share the same essence or substance.  Islam also sees God as transcendent and incorporeal - therefore there is no way that a individual human being could somehow be of God's substance or essence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 01:39:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 01:36:31 PM
There is only one God and Mohommad is his profit.

Leaving out the tee-hee about profit, how does that contradict anything? Do Christians think that Christ and God equal two gods?

No, but Muslims think that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2009, 01:40:37 PM

No, but Muslims think that.

I dont think so.  They reject the notion that God could have taken human form as Christianity asserts (or at least which many kinds of Chrisitianity asserts).  It is not that Islam mistakes Christianity's meaning, it is that Islam rejects it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 01:39:01 PM
Leaving out the tee-hee about profit,
:blush:

how does that contradict anything? Do Christians think that Christ and God equal two gods?

What JR said.  Its not so much multiple Gods - which Christians would say they do not have.  It is an matter of the nature of God on which the Muslims and Christians could never agree.

Malthus

Hinduism in some forms at least has a similar notion to Christians - all of the "gods" share a single essence (Brahman), which merely manifests itself as seperate "gods" (and everything else as well).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman

Thus, Hinduism is also "not polytheistic" in a manner similar to why Christianity is "not polytheistic" - except instead of three manifestations, Hindus have manifestations without count.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 01:39:17 PM
They don't get around it because the Trinity conceives of three persons sharing a single essence.  That violates the indivisibility of God under the Islamic tawhid - God is indivisible and can't manifest in multiple "persons" even if those persons share the same essence or substance.  Islam also sees God as transcendent and incorporeal - therefore there is no way that a individual human being could somehow be of God's substance or essence.

Thank you and contrary to claims out there, that didn't take too long. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 02:10:34 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 01:39:17 PM

Thank you and contrary to claims out there, that didn't take too long. :)

JR has much more patience then I.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 01:28:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2009, 12:56:11 PM
:lol:

Though here's something I don't know - an explaination as to why there are not new prophets in Judaism.

Prophecy as such ceased after Ezra's refoundation.  There was no longer a need for the office of Prophet to deliver the message of God directly because everything one needed to know about God's will could be discerned from the existing scripture and the law.  The prophets were replaced by scribes and sages.

Where though is this described? I assume somewhere in the Talmud ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 02:12:56 PM
JR has much more patience then I.

Actually, perhaps you should learn that writing, essentially, the same one liner over again isn't an effective way of teaching. :)