Episcopal Priest wants to be both a Christian and a Muslim at the same time

Started by Caliga, April 02, 2009, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 08:57:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 08:56:23 AM
What if Jesus was adopted? He could then be and not be the son of God. :p

Jesus could have two dads. -_-
I'd like to see a caricature depicting Jesus as a son of a same sex couple consisting of Jahweh and Allah.  :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 09:39:28 AM
I'd like to see a caricature depicting Jesus as a son of a same sex couple consisting of Jahweh and Allah.  :cool:

Nah Joseph and Jahweh were getting it on.  That is why Mary was a virgin, being Joseph's beard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Hmmm, there is no God but God and Mohammad is his prophet say the Muslims.  Jesus is not only the Son of God but is also God say the Christians.

Yep no possible conflict there. :lol:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 09:45:50 AM
Hmmm, there is no God but God and Mohammad is his prophet say the Muslims.  Jesus is not only the Son of God but is also God say the Christians.

Yep no possible conflict there. :lol:

They really are not compatible at all on a dogmatic level.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 09:14:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2009, 09:12:41 AM
What would really suck is to die and discover the Sumerians were right all along.

Isn't that one of those things were you go to a dark underworld for all eternity?

It's not all bad, you do get a covering of feathers and get to eat dust  :huh:

Berkut

Pfft, believing that Jesus is both the son of god and not the son of god at the same time is not more silly than believing that he "sacrificed" himself for humans while being immortal.

From the outside looking in, her actions are no more loony than all the other contradictions and looniness in just about all religions. Maybe she can start a new one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 09:53:01 AM
Pfft, believing that Jesus is both the son of god and not the son of god at the same time is not more silly than believing that he "sacrificed" himself for humans while being immortal.

From the outside looking in, her actions are no more loony than all the other contradictions and looniness in just about all religions. Maybe she can start a new one.

Well one thing is for sure, Islam has less crazy contradictions about it than standard Christianity on the surface.  I mean both man and God who sacrifices himself to make men immortal...

I sure haven't noticed that people have gotten much better since 30 AD.

But that is beside the point.  The point is if you do not believe that stuff (or at least pretend to) you should not have a job as a leader of a Christian church.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 09:50:21 AM

Considerin that is totally in vogue to run around picking and choosing what one likes from a religion, it wouldn't be too hard to see two religions as two different views of the same truths.

Besides, who said internal contradiction is necessarily a bad thing?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 10:16:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 09:50:21 AM

Considerin that is totally in vogue to run around picking and choosing what one likes from a religion, it wouldn't be too hard to see two religions as two different views of the same truths.

I think it is fine, even a little admirable, for an ordinary church goer.  But it just doesn't work for a priest or church leader.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 10:16:10 AM

In vogue now?  Syncretism is part and parcel of religion.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

This is indeed stupid.
Yes its the same god. Well fucking duh. Everyone knows and realises that.
Totally different ways of worshipping him though. You can't be a catholic and a baptist at the same time afterall.
She needs a slap.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 09:53:01 AM

Point taken.  She is essentially starting a new one since the two she currently subscribes to are mutually inconsistent other then the fact that they both worship a God.  The Devil is in the details.