Because Hope Springs Eternal: Languish EU3 MP thread

Started by Kleves, December 15, 2009, 11:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Kleves on December 16, 2009, 05:12:13 PM
Back on topic: Who could make a Sunday game at around 11:00am EST, beginning in early January?

That's good for me, though I'll be out of the loop Sunday 10 Jan as I 'll be out of town; I'll need a sub should we have a game then.

Is the new expansion going to be a requirement?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 16, 2009, 09:57:35 PM
Is the new expansion going to be a requirement?

I say yes, though I suppose that's majority-vote thing.  Is there a reason (short of participants not wanting to make the purchase) to not go that route?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

I'd be happy to buy the expansion, if it is a noticeable improvment.

I'm also not wedded to the electorate idea; I'd be happy to just play the majors instead, if you guys like.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

I'm not discounting the idea of the Electors, but if we're going to play "majors" perhaps we should try to come up with a logical grouping so that there is guaranteed interaction amongst the PCs?

For example, if we have 4-5 people, we can do either a "Western" group or an "Eastern" grouping of powers.  England, France, Spain and Portugal with Austria as the 5th for the former; Muscovy/Russia, Poland, Ottomans, Austria and Sweden as the 5th for the latter.

Those groups would ensure that everyone was constantly dealing with at least two of the other players, if not all of them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I am in for Sunday, its 5PM for me which is just about perfect.

Regarding the electorates: I would be happy for that only if you guys manage to have some practice rounds with the new expansion at first. It would be cool, because there are now some real and strong profits from being emperor, but the neighboring AI majors will punish you hard for any mistakes, so I am not sure it's good for noobs.

Easiest would be a Western grouping along Habbaku's guidelines. Eastern is fine as well but the east is even more fluid than the west in the 1399 start. Countries rise to dominate the region for a decade or two, than get teared apart by neighbors at the first sign of trouble. That happens in the West as well but much less so.

Solmyr

Pat

That'd work for me too. No strong preferences as to what countries to play.

Kleves

So I think that's 7 that say the date/time will work for them.

What do you guys think about the scenario/expansion question?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

I am only playing with HttT, IN is shallow compared to it.

As for scenario, if we go with electors, 1399. If we go majors, my vote is on 1492 or 1453

Solmyr

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 16, 2009, 09:41:15 PM
I'm not opposed to that, but it could lead to some dull rounds and, at worst, some of the major AIs might beat us up.
That would be a hilarious AAR to follow though, although not the most fun to play I will admit. But what's life without risks?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2009, 08:04:30 PM
I'm not opposed to that, but it could lead to some dull rounds and, at worst, some of the major AIs might beat us up.
That would be a hilarious AAR to follow though, although not the most fun to play I will admit. But what's life without risks?

Besides, our reading enjoyment is far more important than their playing enjoyment. :D
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 17, 2009, 09:12:09 PM

Besides, our reading enjoyment is far more important than their playing enjoyment. :D
Yup!  :D

Though I almost always play a small country in the HRE so I'm used to it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2009, 12:04:33 PM
I am only playing with HttT, IN is shallow compared to it.

As for scenario, if we go with electors, 1399. If we go majors, my vote is on 1492 or 1453

Agreed on all points.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 17, 2009, 09:12:09 PM

:P

-J. R. R. Tolkien