News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Eek!  I just reread the reviews from tirerack.com for my tires, from the owners of my car model.  The highest rating was 4.5, and the typical review included comments such as "Usafe" and "Very dangerous" when talking about snow performance.  I felt much safer when I didn't know how terrible my tires are.

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 15, 2009, 06:35:42 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 15, 2009, 04:07:41 PM
It has been snowing all night :(

I'm currently out if town...how much new snow have we gotten?  (and swing by and shovel my driveway, k?)  :P

So far not too bad 4-6 inches in our part of town, hillside it's about a foot from what i've heard.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

I got a form letter in my mailbox today from the postmaster saying that he had "received reports of dangerous conditions" at my mailbox during inclement weather.  :lol:

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on December 15, 2009, 07:15:06 PM
Eek!  I just reread the reviews from tirerack.com for my tires, from the owners of my car model.  The highest rating was 4.5, and the typical review included comments such as "Usafe" and "Very dangerous" when talking about snow performance.  I felt much safer when I didn't know how terrible my tires are.

The kind of person who will go to a site called 'tirerack.com' and review tires is probally the kind of person who has been recently screwed over by said tires.
If your tires work fine then they work fine and you don't talk about them.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Dguller, do you even have winter tires?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2009, 07:31:10 AM
No, I have all-season tires that apparently only work in some seasons.

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on December 16, 2009, 07:24:24 AM
The kind of person who will go to a site called 'tirerack.com' and review tires is probally the kind of person who has been recently screwed over by said tires.
If your tires work fine then they work fine and you don't talk about them.
That still doesn't explain why my tires are ranked near the bottom.  Even if there is a negative bias in reviews, I see no reason why some tires should evoke more hatred than others due to it.

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?

Mr.Penguin

Sigh, another day spent singing the "Vinterbyøster" song... <_<
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2009, 09:26:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2009, 07:31:10 AM
No, I have all-season tires that apparently only work in some seasons.

Pretty much. All season is really just "above 45 degrees".

For the past 2 years now, in quebec, it's been law to have winter tires between December 15th & March 15th. Non-compliance is a 200 to 300$ fine.

Of course, it only applies to vehicles registered in Quebec.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Despite my bigmouth talk, this morning I nearly drifted into the front of a bus, luckily ABS stopped me in my own lane, even if slightly sideways

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on December 15, 2009, 07:15:06 PM
Sheesh DG! Even though you live in the US, you're from Ukraine, part of the land of General Winter! You should know all about snow!!   ;)

Besides, can't you just drive an old, surplus T-34 or something? Those won't get stuck on snowy roads.   :cool:

PDH

I just have some sort of all season tires, never worry about it. When the Interstate is closed, I don't drive on it...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Brazen

Snowing in London. Not enough to settle, but that doesn't mean it won't be enough to stop the trains.

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on December 16, 2009, 10:32:29 AM
Sheesh DG! Even though you live in the US, you're from Ukraine, part of the land of General Winter! You should know all about snow!!   ;)
Did I say that I wouldn't drive on snow?  I only said that I would contemplate the total inadequacy of my tires while doing it.  It's actually quite fun in a way; normally cars these days are no challenge at all to drive.