Lesbian beats black man to become mayor of the South's Largest City

Started by Faeelin, December 13, 2009, 02:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2009, 09:54:08 PM
Houston is an Oil town, a huge international port, and has a massive foreign population.  I am not sure how that sounds like Alabama what whateva.

Hey, we have a massive foreign population and a huge international airport, doesn't mean we're not part of the South. I don't know why everyone insists on conflating "Southern" and "rural."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 14, 2009, 12:41:46 PM
Hey, we have a massive foreign population and a huge international airport, doesn't mean we're not part of the South. I don't know why everyone insists on conflating "Southern" and "rural."

What are the qualities a "Southern" urban area would have versus a "Western" or "Northern" one?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 14, 2009, 12:41:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2009, 09:54:08 PM
Houston is an Oil town, a huge international port, and has a massive foreign population.  I am not sure how that sounds like Alabama what whateva.

As I've mentioned before, when I moved to Houston from Ohio all the Vietnamese, Chinese, Bangladeshis, Indians, Phillipinos, Cubans, Mexicans, Russians, South Africans and Guatemalans called me Yankee. They may be every color of the rainbow, but they're still Texans.  :P

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2009, 01:15:31 PM
What are the qualities a "Southern" urban area would have versus a "Western" or "Northern" one?

Geographic location, duh.   :P

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2009, 01:30:38 PM
As I've mentioned before, when I moved to Houston from Ohio all the Vietnamese, Chinese, Bangladeshis, Indians, Phillipinos, Cubans, Mexicans, Russians, South Africans and Guatemalans called me Yankee. They may be every color of the rainbow, but they're still Texans.  :P

We integrate our immigrants fast.  It is hard not to when you are as fabulous as we are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

:mad: The South's largest city is either Atlanta or Jacksonville depending on how you define 'largest'.

Houston isn't the largest because Houston isn't in the South.  Houston is in Texas, and Texas isn't the South.  Texas is Texas.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 02:36:37 PM
:mad: The South's largest city is either Atlanta or Jacksonville depending on how you define 'largest'.

Houston isn't the largest because Houston isn't in the South.  Houston is in Texas, and Texas isn't the South.  Texas is Texas.  :)

:hug: :hug: :hug:

MadImmortalMan

Houston has been in the top 5 by population since the 80s. I don't think any southern city outside Texas is even in the top ten, but I bet Dallas and SA both are in there somewhere.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

IIRC Atlanta is #8 nationwide in terms of metro area population.

Martinus

Is the fact that she is a lesbian a big deal in the US? I am just wondering if the US South is more like Poland (where it would have been a big news) or more like, say, Western Europe (where openly gay mayors have been ruling Paris and Berlin for some time now, for example), when it comes to cultural acceptance of gay people.

Caliga

The "US South" is not even close to being homogenous in terms of acceptance of things like homosexuality.

Louisville, Kentucky could conceivably elect a gay mayor.  After all, we have both a liberal Jewish mayor now and a liberal Jewish Representative in US Congress.

Hazard, Kentucky (in the heart of Appalachia): I don't think so.

I suspect a gay mayor could be elected in Atlanta and most of the other larger southern cities.  Maybe not cities on the order of Knoxville and Montgomery, though.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 03:51:14 PM
The "US South" is not even close to being homogenous in terms of acceptance of things like homosexuality.

Louisville, Kentucky could conceivably elect a gay mayor.  After all, we have both a liberal Jewish mayor now and a liberal Jewish Representative in US Congress.

Stop breaking those southern stereotypes!  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 03:51:14 PM
Louisville, Kentucky could conceivably elect a gay mayor.

You don't have to convince Languish that Louisville suXX0rz, Cal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.