News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Duties of Marriage

Started by CountDeMoney, December 12, 2009, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

It still has its fans.  The rules are also, like, half a page long.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 13, 2009, 04:41:59 AM
They also agreed to fuck each other. My point is that "marriage" is not a promise of celibacy, and yet if one party makes it celibate, the other party is punished for seeking to get out of the contract.

Since celibacy includes not getting married it sure would be weird if it included the promise of celibacy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 13, 2009, 11:40:33 AM
I thought that was called 'spousal abandonment'?

There is definately a double standard involved.  My female friends used to dismiss their cheating with stuff like, 'he became my best friend' or shit.  If their guys cheated on them (in one case they weren't in a relationship, she was just obsessed with him and took his dating for cheating) then they were pigs and scum, etc.

Divorce can financially destroy a guy, so it isn't an easy choice.  In Mass. you could also kiss goodbye any chance of getting custody too. 

Your female friends are assholes.  Get new friends.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 13, 2009, 09:55:35 PM
I did.

Oh, so all the Pacman pies and "eggnog feasts" were an elaborate scheme to get rid of your female friends? Makes sense. I wondered if there is a purpose to it.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2009, 09:50:33 PM
Since celibacy includes not getting married it sure would be weird if it included the promise of celibacy.
Since celibacy and marriage are completely unrelated, I don't see how you could think this point valid.  In fact, celibate marriage was once quite popular in some early Christian circles, and as late as the Eighteenth Century (arguably even the Nineteenth) the Shakers were practicing it in substantial numbers.

Now, you may think marriage vows that include celibacy are weird, but that shouldn't be because you think that celibacy, by definition, excludes marriage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2009, 07:33:30 AM
Since celibacy and marriage are completely unrelated, I don't see how you could think this point valid.  In fact, celibate marriage was once quite popular in some early Christian circles, and as late as the Eighteenth Century (arguably even the Nineteenth) the Shakers were practicing it in substantial numbers.

Now, you may think marriage vows that include celibacy are weird, but that shouldn't be because you think that celibacy, by definition, excludes marriage.

Beat me to it. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2009, 07:33:30 AM

My understanding is that celibacy is a rejection of all sexual relationships including marriage.  I would find it odd for celibacy to be practiced by Christians along with marriage since the New Testament is entirely clear that those are separate paths: it encourages you to be celibate but if you cannot swing that get married.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2009, 02:50:20 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 13, 2009, 09:55:35 PM
I did.

Oh, so all the Pacman pies and "eggnog feasts" were an elaborate scheme to get rid of your female friends? Makes sense. I wondered if there is a purpose to it.  :P
It's been a years long project my man.
PDH!

Caliga

The Shakers IIRC did in fact require their members to be chaste, even if they were married... so yes, despite that fact married couples were expected to avoid screwing each other.  There were some other 19th century movements like that (for some reason upstate New York attracted fruits like this) plus there were those Oneida people, who were into orgies and having young boys screw old ladies. :x
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 13, 2009, 03:29:23 AM
I found this amusing article on MSN ( :x ): http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articledoublex.aspx?cp-documentid=22822846&GT1=32023

If the man cheats, he's a scumbag, but if the woman cheats, it's a-okay!

Let's put this through the de-spinulator.

Woman is unhappy in her marriage and life in general.
Doesn't want to end the marriage.
Doesn't want to live with it.
Gets a mutual friend involved and starts shagging him.
Mutual friend, who is admittedly an asshole anyway, falls in love with her, as she convinced him they are gonna go off to Fantasy Island and be together4evar.
Woman gets husband's attention, ditches the other ass, and lives happily ever after.

Nasty piece of work that.
PDH!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2009, 09:19:53 AMit encourages you to be celibate but if you cannot swing that get married.

That's horrible

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 14, 2009, 09:29:44 AM
That's horrible

I know.  It makes you wonder why Christians call this message 'Good News'.