News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So... someone confesses murder to you

Started by Martinus, December 12, 2009, 05:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A guy you do not know very well confesses to you that he murdered someone 30 years ago. He says he feels sorry about it and needed to get it off his chest. Do you...

... pat him on a shoulder and buy him another drink. Then go on Languish to retell this sad, sad story.
28 (57.1%)
... report him to the police.
16 (32.7%)
... lure him away, then exsanguinate him, cut his body into portable pieces that you later dump into the bay inside black plastic bags.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on December 14, 2009, 06:00:50 PM
I wonder if this thread would exist if the story was about some guy throwing someone overboard because of an argument over cards or something, rather than Tah Gay Panic?

I suspect....not.

You can't generalize like that.  :(

Homophone.

Caliga

I wouldn't go to the police, because

a) The only "proof" I would have is some old man's word, who may be suffering from Alzheimer's;

b) All the police could do is question the guy and get the same "proof", which isn't really proof.

Under normal circumstances you can't convict someone of a crime simply because they claim to have done something.... at least not in this country (and probably not Canada either).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 08:02:48 AM
I wouldn't go to the police, because

a) The only "proof" I would have is some old man's word, who may be suffering from Alzheimer's;

b) All the police could do is question the guy and get the same "proof", which isn't really proof.

Under normal circumstances you can't convict someone of a crime simply because they claim to have done something.... at least not in this country (and probably not Canada either).

Sure you can. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

:huh: Really?

So if I go into a police station and say "I killed John Doe" despite there being no evidence I did so or that John Doe even exists, I can go to jail?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2009, 10:23:32 AM

So if I go into a police station and say "I killed John Doe" despite there being no evidence I did so or that John Doe even exists, I can go to jail?
I would demand you fucking hang.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

So if I started having paranoid dellusions I killed somebody named Sally Henrietta Olafson and I confessed it to the cops they would prosecute even if they had no record of somebody named Sally Henrietta Olafson actually being murdered?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2009, 10:49:21 AM
So if I started having paranoid dellusions I killed somebody named Sally Henrietta Olafson and I confessed it to the cops they would prosecute even if they had no record of somebody named Sally Henrietta Olafson actually being murdered?

BB would prosecute at least!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on December 15, 2009, 10:45:53 AM

Better to demand that he hang while fucking.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2009, 11:12:39 AM

Oh no he diddin.  :(

PDH

Why do you hate David Carradine :(

edit - FUCK, beat by 11 seconds!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Slargos

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on December 15, 2009, 11:17:53 AM
Quote from: PDH on December 15, 2009, 11:17:13 AM

Why do you hate David Carradine :(

You're getting slow, old man.  :P

I guess you can't - hang about - when posting.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Regarding Martim Silva's post, I think there is a confusion about two issues here.

For example in Poland you have a difference between "ordinary" client-lawyer privilege and criminal defense lawyer privilege.

If the information is something you found out when providing ordinary out-of-court legal advice for your client, then in exceptional cases you may be required to testify in criminal cases.

This is quite different from the situation when you find out about some information while acting in your capacity as the client's defender in a criminal case - in a situation like this, you cannot be required to testify under any circumstances.

I suspect the situation may be similar in Portugal, and Martim Silva is confusing the two situations.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 15, 2009, 11:56:59 AM
Martim Silva is confusing the two situations.

No offense but I find this unlikely in the extreme.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

And also, there is a third situation - when the client tells a lawyer he or she intends to commit one of the listed serious felonies - then the lawyer is required to report that.