News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So... someone confesses murder to you

Started by Martinus, December 12, 2009, 05:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A guy you do not know very well confesses to you that he murdered someone 30 years ago. He says he feels sorry about it and needed to get it off his chest. Do you...

... pat him on a shoulder and buy him another drink. Then go on Languish to retell this sad, sad story.
28 (57.1%)
... report him to the police.
16 (32.7%)
... lure him away, then exsanguinate him, cut his body into portable pieces that you later dump into the bay inside black plastic bags.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2009, 08:52:28 AM
Who is he, who did he kill and why.
No one answer.
If some git admits it to me for brutally killing some complete stranger then I'm going to the police.
If its my friend and its because he found the guy robbing his house or somesuch then...let it go and hope for the best.

You have friends "you don't know very well"? Ok, I guess I thought this will be read by people who are not sociopaths.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on December 12, 2009, 09:09:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2009, 08:52:28 AM
Who is he, who did he kill and why.
No one answer.
If some git admits it to me for brutally killing some complete stranger then I'm going to the police.
If its my friend and its because he found the guy robbing his house or somesuch then...let it go and hope for the best.

You have friends "you don't know very well"? Ok, I guess I thought this will be read by people who are not sociopaths.

And yet you post it on Languish.  :lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on December 12, 2009, 09:09:51 AM
I'm a student, some people remain friends for years but lots of people only come here for 6 months then vanish. Though I would call them friends I wouldn't claim to know them too well.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

30 year old murder? Don't really give a fuck.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

In the case of the WW2 sailor there's a few things to consider when you decide what to do upon hearing his story (not in order):

1. Is it even true? People tell less than truthful tales all the time, for many different reasons.
2. Is the guy a friend? Unlike what some posters will tell you two men can be friends. Do I want to potentially destroy his life over some ancient shit?
3. Will going to the police realistically have a chance to lead to conviction? Will the guy even confess his deed to the police? This is real life, not Cold Case.
4. Will the dead guy's family be helped by the death resurfacing? Maybe a criminal suddenly painting their WW2 hero as a faggot isn't really helpful.
5. Do I want to be known as the guy who runs to the police over this kind of thing? Regardless of what I think it will make me look assish.
6. Should he have killed the guy on a dreadnought instead?
etc
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I'm not a priest and I'm not a lawyer, and I like to testify in court.

Barrister

I once did have someone admit to a 30 + year old sexual crime in my capacity as a lawyer... :zipped:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Probably not, although I would happily take his money to represent him if someone else did.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2009, 11:11:10 AM
I once did have someone admit to a 30 + year old sexual crime in my capacity as a lawyer... :zipped:

:blink: You'd report the allegedly gay dead sailor but not the murderer?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

What happens if by chance some time later you run into the guy as a prosecutor?  Or a judge, for that matter?  Do you recuse yourself?

CountDeMoney

But she was hot, so you let it go.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on December 12, 2009, 11:48:41 AM
What happens if by chance some time later you run into the guy as a prosecutor?  Or a judge, for that matter?  Do you recuse yourself?

Uhum.

Barrister

You got it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2009, 12:18:00 PM

You got it.
When you recuse yourself do you have to explain why in detail?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on December 12, 2009, 12:30:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2009, 12:18:00 PM

You got it.
When you recuse yourself do you have to explain why in detail?

Of course not. The fact that you know the person is normally enough. Not to mention a situation when you have been the person's lawyer in the past - that's pretty much an automatic kick.