News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So... someone confesses murder to you

Started by Martinus, December 12, 2009, 05:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A guy you do not know very well confesses to you that he murdered someone 30 years ago. He says he feels sorry about it and needed to get it off his chest. Do you...

... pat him on a shoulder and buy him another drink. Then go on Languish to retell this sad, sad story.
28 (57.1%)
... report him to the police.
16 (32.7%)
... lure him away, then exsanguinate him, cut his body into portable pieces that you later dump into the bay inside black plastic bags.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 47

BuddhaRhubarb

um I'd likely do nothing other than re-tell the story. People lie. a lot. especially about unverifiable things 30 odd years ago.

:p

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2009, 11:11:10 AM
I once did have someone admit to a 30 + year old sexual crime in my capacity as a lawyer... :zipped:

Does Canada have a statue of limitations?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

oh shoot actually I just remembered I met a guy at a poetry reading once who told me he  had killed a couple of people... one a crime of passion that got him jail at 15 (in the 30's) and one guy he shivved in prison, in a him or me situation. he spent five years in solitary after that one. Told me he kept sane by reciting "O Captain My Captain!" to himself.

He'd done his time, so no reason to report him.
:p

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 12, 2009, 01:03:53 PM
I once did have someone admit to a 30 + year old sexual crime in my capacity as a lawyer... :zipped:

On murder probably not.

Quote from: BuddhaTold me he kept sane by reciting "O Captain My Captain!" to himself.

That sounds totally sane.  I didn't know you could keep someone in solitary for that long.  Thought it fell under cruel and unusual. :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2009, 01:52:25 PM

On murder probably not.

I figured they wouldn't.

Neil

Would put my horror and disgust into building better death camps for homos, and drafting the proclamations that will make sending the homos there compulsory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2009, 01:52:25 PM

On murder probably not.

Quote from: BuddhaTold me he kept sane by reciting "O Captain My Captain!" to himself.

That sounds totally sane.  I didn't know you could keep someone in solitary for that long.  Thought it fell under cruel and unusual. :unsure:

Canadians don't have our Constitutional protections.  And remember, he's talking about someone being sent to jail in the 1930's, when a lot of the way prisoners were treated wouldn't fly today.

Anyway, in general, I'd be hesitant to report someone that confessed to having committed a murder 30 years ago.  For one thing, in the US at least, you couldnt testify against him in court--your testimony would be excluded by the hearsay rule.  But it would depend on the exact circumstances.

ulmont

A confession to murder would fit at least two exceptions to the hearsay rule, as an admission by a party to be used against them and as an admission against a person's interest.

Martinus

Is a "statue of limitations" the opposite of the "statue of liberty"? :unsure: 

syk

Quote from: Martinus on December 13, 2009, 02:00:18 PM

Barrister

Summary conviction matters must be charged within 6 months of the offence.

Indictable matters have no limit.

As I mentioned however, what I was told was very clearly covered by solicitor-client priviledge. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2009, 02:11:37 PM

As I mentioned however, what I was told was very clearly covered by solicitor-client priviledge.

In the US that is the sacred bond between a hooker and a john.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

har har, I screwed up a word.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2009, 04:41:34 PM

har har, I screwed up a word.

Oh, I thought this was Marty asking a serious legal question.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017