Guantanamo a Relaxing Place, Miss Universe says.

Started by Josephus, April 01, 2009, 08:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: dps on April 01, 2009, 10:49:01 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 01, 2009, 05:20:41 PM
I don't see a problem with this.  :huh:

Yeah, I very much doubt this is the first time a USO show has visited Gitmo.  I don't see what the fuss is about.

:yes: Gitmo isn't just a prison, people.  My dad was stationed there for a bit during Vietnam.  It was his second favorite posting, after one in Scotland (Inverness?  Holy Loch?  I forget) because he loved visiting Scotland and Norway.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 07:08:27 AM

Yeah, I very much doubt this is the first time a USO show has visited Gitmo.  I don't see what the fuss is about.

:yes: Gitmo isn't just a prison, people.  My dad was stationed there for a bit during Vietnam.  It was his second favorite posting, after one in Scotland (Inverness?  Holy Loch?  I forget) because he loved visiting Scotland and Norway.
Perhaps, but these days people associate Gitmo with torture etc. so this was a remarkably badly thought-through idea, in terms of public relations.

For example, Auschwitz, in addition to being a site of one of the Holocaust death camps, is also a rather nice medieval town with great architecture and probably a pleasant atmosphere. Still holding a beauty pageant there, and having the winner declare the she thinks "Auschwitz is the nicest, most friendly place on earth, where one can forget about world's evils" would not be received well, either. :P

Hansmeister

I've been to Gitmo three times.  Tiny little base in the middle of nowhere.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 07:18:47 AM

Perhaps, but Gitmo constitutes quite a simple association this days so this was a remarkably badly thought-through idea, in terms of public relations.

For example, Auschwitz, in addition to being a site of one of the Holocaust death camps, is also a rather nice medieval city with great architecture and probably a pleasant atmosphere. Still holding a beauty pageant there, and having the winner declare the she think "Auschwitz is the nicest, most friendly place on earth, where one can forget about world's evils" would not be received well, either. :P

Yes, Gitmo is just like Auschwitz.  :rolleyes:

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 07:18:47 AM

Perhaps, but these days people associate Gitmo with torture etc.

True, but why cater to peoples ignorance and stupidity?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 09:10:16 AM
True, but why cater to peoples ignorance and stupidity?

Because that is what is what is being portrayed by the world media these days.  I do not have a problem at all with a USO show at Gitmo.  What bugs me is they invited this international celebrity and made it look like we put on some show for her as a propaganda stunt.  If they had just invited Miss America nobody would have cared.

But maybe I am making more of this than is probably warranted.  If people out there think we are running some sort of potemkin village on Miss Universe they probably are not going to think well of us anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 02, 2009, 07:19:06 AMI've been to Gitmo three times.  Tiny little base in the middle of nowhere.

:huh: I always got the impression from him that it was a pretty large base.  Anyway, he said the Cubans used to sometimes harass boats coming in and out of the base in little gunboats, just to be annoying.

saskganesh

I'm sure auschwitz was lauded for its hot showers, industrial facilities where attendees could learn new trades, extensive onsite patient-centered medical research and of course state of the art recycling programs.

gitmo covers 45 square miles. I have no idea if that's considered small or large. its about  20 times the size of gibraltar.
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2009, 09:33:34 AM
Best lease ever.

I like how Castro just stuffs the annual rent payments into a desk drawer in his office.  Crazy old coot.

I dunno if Raul is continuing that practice or what.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 09:50:20 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2009, 09:33:34 AM
Best lease ever.

I like how Castro just stuffs the annual rent payments into a desk drawer in his office.  Crazy old coot.

I dunno if Raul is continuing that practice or what.

Well, the "rent" is something like $12,000/year or something. Pretty funny, really.

We should ask if they will take Paypal.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 09:51:28 AM
Well, the "rent" is something like $12,000/year or something. Pretty funny, really.

We should ask if they will take Paypal.

Maybe that was alot of money back when we first started leasing it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I always sorta wondered if maybe Fidel didn't have a bank account. ;)

The real reason of course for not cashing the checks is to protest the US 'occupation' of the Gitmo site.  But since Castro did in fact cash a single rent check (before he turned commie, I guess) the US asserts he has acknowledged the lease's validity and so on that basis refuses to vacate the base.

I wonder what would happen if the Castro regime fell, and was replaced with a new regime that was similarly opposed to the US presence at Gitmo?  Would we honor their wishes at that juncture?

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 09:54:30 AM
I always sorta wondered if maybe Fidel didn't have a bank account. ;)

The real reason of course for not cashing the checks is to protest the US 'occupation' of the Gitmo site.  But since Castro did in fact cash a single rent check (before he turned commie, I guess) the US asserts he has acknowledged the lease's validity and so on that basis refuses to vacate the base.

I wonder what would happen if the Castro regime fell, and was replaced with a new regime that was similarly opposed to the US presence at Gitmo?  Would we honor their wishes at that juncture?

Magic Eight Ball Says:

lolz!

No.

0 rows returned