Guantanamo a Relaxing Place, Miss Universe says.

Started by Josephus, April 01, 2009, 08:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Are you sure?  Even if Obama is prez at the time? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 07:08:27 AM
:yes: Gitmo isn't just a prison, people.

yeah but it isn't a luxury resort either - it's a military base in hostile territory.  "relaxing" isn't the word that immediately comes to mind.

We can handle the truth.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2009, 10:02:16 AM
Let us give them Rhode Island in exchange.
Better yet, turn Rhode Island into a horrible place where living is a torture.

Oh, wait...

Martinus

Hansmeister

Quote from: saskganesh on April 02, 2009, 09:28:45 AM
I'm sure auschwitz was lauded for its hot showers, industrial facilities where attendees could learn new trades, extensive onsite patient-centered medical research and of course state of the art recycling programs.

gitmo covers 45 square miles. I have no idea if that's considered small or large. its about  20 times the size of gibraltar.

Most of it is not really accessible terrain.  The base itself consists basically of two roads.  One ends with the Marine barracks and the other ends at the old airfield, now Club Gitmo.  The new airfield is across the bay and accessible by boat only.  They've got a small BX and the only McDonald's I've ever been to that serves Pizza.  And that's pretty much it.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 10:24:16 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 07:08:27 AM
:yes: Gitmo isn't just a prison, people.

yeah but it isn't a luxury resort either - it's a military base in hostile territory.  "relaxing" isn't the word that immediately comes to mind.

Which is why the USO had a show for the soldiers, sailors, and marines there, featuring Miss Benezuela.

What else would she say? That the soldiers were savage murderers and the prisoners impaled on wooden spikes? She was a guest so of course she's going to say nice things about the people and the place. It may look like silly propaganda to outsiders but the servicemen stationed there I'm sure were appreciative of the USO. Should we sacrifice the well-being and morale of the servicemen because the ROTW thinks its stupid?

The servicemen there certainly don't give a crap about what the rest of the world thinks. They had a good time, and I'm glad for them.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 07:18:47 AM
Still holding a beauty pageant there, and having the winner declare the she thinks "Auschwitz is the nicest, most friendly place on earth, where one can forget about world's evils" would not be received well, either. :P
Have here declare?  You think Benezuela was given a script?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 10:27:36 AM
Better yet, turn Rhode Island into a horrible place where living is a torture.

Oh, wait...

While hardly worthy of statehood, there's nothing torturous about Rhode Island. It is better than Connecticut.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 02, 2009, 01:09:54 PM
The servicemen there certainly don't give a crap about what the rest of the world thinks. They had a good time, and I'm glad for them.

That is really the point of the criticism. Its in bad taste for a beauty queen to visit a compound that is being closed because of various abuses to describe it in the way she did but apparently nobody in the military who was invovled with this saw the problem.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 02, 2009, 01:09:54 PM

That is really the point of the criticism. Its in bad taste for a beauty queen to visit a compound that is being closed because of various abuses to describe it in the way she did but apparently nobody in the military who was invovled with this saw the problem.

It is not being closed because of various abuses, so of course it is not in bad taste for her to visit it.

Just because you repeat the lie often enough does not turn it into the truth.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 02, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
If she visited the prison and her comments were directed at the prison then they truly were in bad taste.  But I don't think she did.

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 03:09:55 PM

Ironically enough, this very issue proves that I am incorrect.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 03:09:55 PM

It is not being closed because of various abuses, so of course it is not in bad taste for her to visit it.

I didnt say it was in bad tate for her to visit.  It is in bad taste for her to say that she found the whole place relaxing after having been shown where the detainees are kept.  The whole setup is an abuse of law which is why it is being closed.  Do we really have to go through the list of why that is again?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2009, 03:23:39 PM
If she visited the prison and her comments were directed at the prison then they truly were in bad taste.  But I don't think she did.

That is where the criticism of the military comes in.  Surely someone could have figured out that it was possible to be taken that way.