And we're back!

Main Menu

EW's Best Movies of the Decade 2000-2009

Started by CountDeMoney, December 09, 2009, 07:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Opinions?

Quote10. Almost Famous (2000)
Every Cameron Crowe film is, in one way or another, about romance, rock & roll, and his romance with rock & roll. This power ballad of a movie also happens to be Crowe's greatest (and most personal) film thanks to the golden gods of Stillwater and their biggest fan, Kate Hudson's incomparable Penny Lane.

9. Lost in Translation (2003)
Six years later, we still have no clue what Bill Murray whispered into Scarlett Johansson's ear. And we don't want to. Why spoil a perfect film?

8. The 40 Year-Old Virgin (2005)
Raunchy Hollywood comedies — and Steve Carell's chest hair — would never be the same after Judd Apatow's 2005 hit. Who knew you could aim for the heart and below the belt at the same time?

7. Children of Men (2006)
Alfonso Cuaron's dystopian film reminded us that adrenaline-juicing action sequences can work best when the future looks just as grimy as today.

6. Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Baz Luhrmann's trippy, pop-cultural pastiche is an aesthetically arresting ode to poetry, passion, and Elton John. In fact, it's so good, we'll forgive him for Australia.

5. WALL-E (2008)
Conventional wisdom crumbled in the face of imagination when Pixar made the decade's unlikeliest megahit out of a melancholy, semi-silent movie about a lonely, music-loving robot.

4. The Dark Knight (2008)
Every great hero needs a great villain. And Christian Bale's Batman found his in Heath Ledger's demented dervish, the Joker.

3. Gladiator (2000)
A sword-and-sandaled Russell Crowe duked it out with tigers, blood-thirsty warriors, and a nefarious Roman emperor (Joaquin Phoenix) in this Oscar-winning blockbuster. Were you not entertained?!

2. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
Everyone called it ''The Gay Cowboy Movie.'' Until they saw it. In the end, Ang Lee's love story wasn't gay or straight, just human.

1. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003)
Bringing a cherished book to the big screen? No sweat. Peter Jackson's trilogy — or, as we like to call it, our preciousssss — exerted its irresistible pull on advanced Elvish speakers and neophytes alike.

Too Hollywood top-heavy, which means it appeals to both box office receipt accountants and fags.

Ed Anger

Only agree with Wall-E.

Gladiator after the opening battle turned into a snoozefest, LOTR? Boring. Brokeback? Never watched it.

Dark Knight? Christian Bale sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

As well as Wall-E I'd add Up.  I think Control should be on their too.  I think Vera Drake's a truly remarkable film that deserves a bit of love.  I'd also include The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Dancer in the Dark, Waltz with Bashir and Spirited Away.  Okay.  My list, in no particular order:
1 Lost in Translation
2 The Beat That My Heart Skipped
3 Dancer in the Dark
4 Waltz with Bashir
5 Wall-E
6 Up
7 Spirited Away
8 Vera Drake
9 Dark Knight
10 Children of Men

Almost Famous, Moulin Rouge and Brokeback Mountain don't deserve to be anywhere near that list if Ocean's Eleven, for example, isn't on it <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

WALL*E and LOTR stay.  I'd put No Country for Old Men on there.

My problem is I don't know when anything was made.

edit: Dark Knight can stay too.

Queequeg

1) There Will Be Blood
2) Spirited Away
3) Dark Knight
4) Children of Men
5) City of God
6) Y Tu Mama Tambien
7) In the Mood for Love
8) LOTR: TTT
9) Let the Right One In
10) Finding Nemo
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DisturbedPervert

LOTR stays.  I wouldn't put any of the others there

This is one of the only times I've seen every single movie on these types of lists.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 07:14:56 PM
As well as Wall-E I'd add Up.  I think Control should be on their too.  I think Vera Drake's a truly remarkable film that deserves a bit of love.  I'd also include The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Dancer in the Dark, Waltz with Bashir and Spirited Away.  Okay.  My list, in no particular order:
1 Lost in Translation
3 Dancer in the Dark
1) Dull.  Very.  And I say that as a Tarkovsky fan
2) All the depression of Breaking the Waves with half the acting talent and a hundred times the annoying musical numbers.  Blegh. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on December 09, 2009, 07:55:18 PM
2) All the depression of Breaking the Waves with half the acting talent and a hundred times the annoying musical numbers.  Blegh.
One of the most moving films I've ever seen.  I think it was the last film that made me cry - and no anti-Bjork sentiment here <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 07:55:45 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 09, 2009, 07:50:39 PM
5) City of God
10) Finding Nemo
These two deserve it too.
I'm a little surprised that Latin American cinema isn't getting more love here.  It was really their decade, between Y Tu Mama, City of God, Amores Perros, Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth and the Devil's Backbone (Mexican director).

I'd also probably put Russian Ark in any finalized list.

Sheilbh

I haven't seen Devil's Backbone, but of them Pan's Labyrinth and City of God do stick out as particularly good.  Russian Ark's up there too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 09, 2009, 07:55:18 PM
One of the most moving films I've ever seen.  I think it was the last film that made me cry - and no anti-Bjork sentiment here <_<
von Trier is barely tolerable at his very best.  Add in Bjork and HEY COMMUNISM WAS KIND OF NEAT and incongruous musical numbers, and I think that at the very least you'd  see why someone wouldn't like it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on December 09, 2009, 08:02:26 PM
von Trier is barely tolerable at his very best.  Add in Bjork and HEY COMMUNISM WAS KIND OF NEAT and incongruous musical numbers, and I think that at the very least you'd  see why someone wouldn't like it.
I can't understand why anyone would dislike von Trier, far less Bjork.  Didn't get the communism angle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Galrion

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 07:14:56 PM

Almost Famous, Moulin Rouge and Brokeback Mountain don't deserve to be anywhere near that list if Ocean's Eleven, for example, isn't on it <_<

It's #80 on their 100 greatest movies, tv shows, albums, books, characters, scenes, episodes, songs, dresses, music videos, and trends.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 08:06:11 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 09, 2009, 08:02:26 PM
I can't understand why anyone would dislike von Trier, far less Bjork.  Didn't get the communism angle.
von Trier is fine as long as he isn't working on anything to do with America.  And by fine I mean "brilliant" but "Haneke-level stomach churning".  Breaking the Waves is a fantastic movie.  Dancer in the Dark was a farce as a work about America; if an American had done a "Dancer in the Dark" set in Denmark, it would (rightly) be on the same lists as "Alone in the Dark", "Battlefield Earth" and "The Room". He is like Martinus, only talented. 

Bjork?  Uuuuugggghhhhh.  Communism angle? Wasn't she really convicted and hanged because she said something positive about Communism?  I thought that was the entire point; that she's a martyr because she believes "communism is better for people"?