Study Group at Columbia Law Requires Resume, Transcript

Started by Faeelin, December 11, 2009, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2009, 11:26:56 AM
I think "derision" is a better word for it than "outrage".
I think the OP is pretty outraged.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2009, 11:05:24 AM
There is an obvious difference, in that some external organization is setting standards for admission. Presumably, *everyone* who wants admission to the fraternity has to pass the test.

I never applied to any, but from my buddy who applied to one the admission was incredibly murky and decided arbitrarily by a handful of senior members.  To this day he swears the only reason he didn't get in was because he was white and they wanted to keep it 100% Asian.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2009, 11:29:22 AM
I think the OP is pretty outraged.

Really? The OP specifically uses the word "derision".

To the extent anyone is "outraged", that is obviously an overreaction. "outrage" is what one has finding out her hobby is kicking puppies to death.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Yep, and quite deserved IMO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2009, 11:33:19 AM
Really? The OP specifically uses the word "derision".

To the extent anyone is "outraged", that is obviously an overreaction. "outrage" is what one has finding out her hobby is kicking puppies to death.
Really!

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Yep, and quite deserved IMO.

Though in the days before the 'net, no-one would have known or cared.

The Internet magnifies each and every amusing example of assholish behaviour, if it is of a sort sufficiently uncommon as to attract attention.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 11, 2009, 11:43:14 AM
I bet she is great in the sack.

You'd need to provide a resume, blood sample, and 5 references before you'd even get to 2nd base, I bet.  But otherwise-- yeah, prbly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Come to think of it, I would actually prefer it if people start adopting these rules.  Since I probably stand a better chance of getting into groups that require a certain GPA, rather than "you get in if I like you". 

The Brain

Has it come to this? Can't we at least have threads about actual events?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

She reminds me of a guy that left our study group in first year because he thought that by sharing his knowledge of the subject matter he would lose his advantage on the curve (based on his belief that he was smarter then the rest of us).

Our group all finished in the top 10% and two of us got multiple top marks in particular subjects.  The person that left the group so that he did not have to share his wisdom with us finished below the top 25%.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on December 11, 2009, 12:15:22 PM

You stopped posting about your farm trips so we have to deal with what is left.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 11, 2009, 12:20:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 11, 2009, 12:15:22 PM

You stopped posting about your farm trips so we have to deal with what is left.

They call it puppy love. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

Quote from: Faeelin on December 11, 2009, 10:06:15 AM
An interesting story, that's led to an enormous amount of derision and contempt for CLS students.

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/study_group_at_columbia_requir.php?show=comments#comments

QuoteStudy Group At Columbia Requires A Transcript
Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:11 AM - By Elie Mystal

We come across some ridiculous news here at Above the Law. But few stories are as douchetastic as what happened last week at Columbia Law School. A tipster reports:

Some 1L chick has been asking a select few of her classmates if they'd be interested in forming a study group. Here's the catch: in order to be "accepted," you have to submit (1) resume, (2) undergraduate transcript.
I barely know what to say. So I'm going to throw it to a friend of mine who graduated from Columbia Law a few years ago:

I haven't heard about this, but it doesn't surprise me....
Jesus Christ, this doesn't surprise me. I graduated from a law school where s*** like this happens and I'm not surprised.

All right, let's analyze the problems here after the jump.

Asking fellow students to submit their undergraduate transcripts is unimaginably asinine. But submitting to the request is arguably even more pathetic:

[T]ell me what's sadder: the fact that this poor girl thinks this is an acceptable thing to do, or that people have actually submitted their "qualifications"?
Here's what I don't understand, in no particular order:

* Don't people tend to study with people they like? Does this Columbia law student have no friends?

* Explain to me again what an undergraduate transcript has to do with law school?

* Did the student do this in hopes of showing up on Above the Law? Am I being trolled?

* What kind of ego does it take to think that people must be qualified for the privilege of studying with you?

The last point really breaks me up. Fundamentally, setting up a study group is a nice way of saying: "I'm not smart enough to understand this on my own." You are asking for help! Beggars cannot be choosers.

But is there a Columbia law student running around thinking that she's so great that others must submit a freaking curriculum vitae to get in a room with her?

This poor girl's gotten an enormous amount of crap on facebook, but I'm a bit curious. While her method is incredibly jackassish, doesn't everyone try to work with people who are as smart as they can? And that being so, the contempt this poor gal's been getting is amazing; she's had to take everything off of facebook, as random people are just yelling at her. So, was she being reasonable but acted rashly, or an absurd git?

my recollection is people tried to group with their friends
Who is John Galt?