Main Menu

EW's Best Movies of the Decade 2000-2009

Started by CountDeMoney, December 09, 2009, 07:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on December 09, 2009, 10:57:00 PM
5. Memento (2000)
2. 25th Hour (2002)
1. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

Shit, forgot those.  Especially Eternal Sunshine.

FunkMonk

I enjoyed The Lives of Others, so I think it should be on some list somewhere.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Queequeg

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 10, 2009, 12:00:05 AM
I enjoyed The Lives of Others, so I think it should be on some list somewhere.
Deservedly.  So would The New World, come to think of it, though I'm afraid that I'd get jumped on for my insane devotion to Terrence Malik.   :Embarrass:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

dps

Dang it, I tried to come up with my own top ten list, but when I checked, most of the films on it turned out to have been from the 90s. 

That probably doesn't say much good about 21st century cinema, but maybe the next decade will be better.

Fate

Hmm... my top 10 (in no particular order) for this decade:

1. Der Untergang/Downfall
2. Into the Wild
3. The Lives of Others
4. Michael Clayton
5. There Will Be Blood
6. No Country for Old Men
7. Slumdog Millionaire
8. The Dark Knight
9. Sin City
10. Children of Men

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 08:06:11 PM
I can't understand why anyone would dislike von Trier, far less Bjork.

Kidding, right? Spellus is supposed to be the pretentious blowhard, not you, Shelf. :console:

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 09, 2009, 08:23:06 PML'auberge espagnole irritated me.

Why? It's a cute little coming of age comedy, nothing more nothing less.

The Larch

Duque de Bragança

Tropa de Elite/Elite Squad is the one missing in these lists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 08:25:16 PM
I tried to watch There Will Be Blood about 3 times, gassed out each time.

Never even heard of Waltz for Bashir, will keep my eyes open for it.

Stop trying to watch it at the dentist's office then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 05:02:47 AM
Kidding, right? Spellus is supposed to be the pretentious blowhard, not you, Shelf. :console:
:blush:  I like von Trier a lot, but I absolutely love Bjork.  I thought she was universally admired. 

There's a number of films I forgot about that should be on the list.  Shaun of the Dead, The Incredibles and The Constant Gardener are all terrific films.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2009, 07:14:58 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 05:02:47 AM
:blush:  I like von Trier a lot, but I absolutely love Bjork.  I thought she was universally admired. 

Over here they're both posterboys of the kind of stuff affected pretentious artistic elitists enjoy, so maybe you'd feel right at home. :P

Tamas

Whoever wants to leave Almost Famous out of that list has just no clue whatsoever. But Bareback Mountain? Molin Rouge? Give me a break.

frunk

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 05:04:44 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 09, 2009, 10:27:09 PM
Frunk!

You have good taste so sayeth me!

Seconded!  :lol:
:Embarrass:  Thanks.  I think it helped that I cheated and listed 20, bound to find something you and Katmai like.  Spirited Away came in at #21, and if I was ordering them (instead of dippy Flickchart) it would have definitely made the list.  Primer's another one that if I couldn't fit it in would definitely get honorable mention.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 07:22:14 AM
Over here they're both posterboys of the kind of stuff affected pretentious artistic elitists enjoy, so maybe you'd feel right at home. :P
Ah, well, in this case the pretentious have a point :P
Let's bomb Russia!