*Drumroll* Amanda Knox verdict coming up!

Started by Jaron, December 04, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

She's pretty cute IMO, you guys have not posted the best photos  :huh:

I don't think there's any particular reason to suspect a mis-trial, not in a apolitical criminal case.

HisMajestyBOB

How long until they release her lesbian prison rape video??
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

MISSCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE  :mad:

Where's Otto Skorzeny when we need him?  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

DGuller

I remember reading a lot of articles that bashed the Italian judicial system for going after an American girl.  However, I've tried to be careful not to get whipped into hysteria just by those articles.  It's very common in case where people are tried in foreign countries to have their home team rooting for them, and cover the trial in less than flattering terms.  I'm sure American press is going to tilt its reporting in favor of Americans, just like European press would tilt its reporting in favor of pedophiles.

DisturbedPervert

Apparently she's also being sued for defamation by the guy that she originally implicated as the murderer.

Syt

I'd hit it. Her being crazy making it more interesting.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 07:20:46 PM
So I read a bit more about the case and don't know what to say.

The Italian justice system doesn't have the highest regard in the world, but it's not a soviet-style showtrial either.  Random assertions about "corrupt italy" really aren't helpful.

I didn't see a whole lot of direct evidence tieing her to the crime, but again the english-language media seems somewhat biased in favour of her innocence.

Well, the prosecution, despite having over two years to formulate a case, couldn't decide on one theory or another.  So they pretty much threw everything at the wall, even the shoddy forensics.

And let this be a lesson to you, kids:  NEVER LEAVE AMERICA. 

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2009, 11:05:11 PM
I remember reading a lot of articles that bashed the Italian judicial system for going after an American girl.  However, I've tried to be careful not to get whipped into hysteria just by those articles.  It's very common in case where people are tried in foreign countries to have their home team rooting for them, and cover the trial in less than flattering terms.  I'm sure American press is going to tilt its reporting in favor of Americans, just like European press would tilt its reporting in favor of pedophiles.

The Italian press already considers her guilty calling her "The devil with an angel's face" and all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 07:53:11 PM
Post-offense mood and behaviour is a really dangerous area to assess credibility.  Not everyone reacts to stress or tragedy in the same way.
while you make a good point, i was merely offering my own pointless observations of the case that i remembered from a likely biased "documentary" on a nationally broadcast american television show years back  :D

Syt

I wonder if at any point she went, "You can't do this, I'm an American!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

It's heartwarming to see that Polish press is not the only one in being tough on crime except when it is one of our boys/girls being tried abroad.

We had a case last year of a Polish guy being accused of rape and attempted murder in the UK. They had his DNA and he was caught on CCTV, yet Polish tabloids depicted him as innocent and the UK court system as some cangaroo farce. The same tabloids that routinely call for castration or bringing back death penalty for locally-operating rapists. :D

And of course there is the Polanski's case. Of course, it's hard to compare his relatively small crime to murder this bitch is guilty of.

One thing missing from this thread is Merri's reaction, though. Although I can predict that had the girl was her daughter, she would have probably taken her out into an empty parking lot and blew her brains out with a Magnum. HOTT.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gambrinus

Richard Hakluyt