*Drumroll* Amanda Knox verdict coming up!

Started by Jaron, December 04, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2009, 06:44:32 PM
CNN had some harpie that writes for Esquire or Vanity Fair or one of those going on and on about how unfair the Italian court system is, how the prosecutor had it out for Amanda because she liked to get stoned and fuck, how there was no physical evidence and no reasonable theory.

I figure the harpie is connected to Amanda's family, who judging by the fact that they're moving out to Italy to expedite the appeals process are stinking rich. 

Media campaign -> US public opinion -> request to have her transferred back to US prison -> parole/pardon.

I also remember some pictures from before in which she looked pretty damn good.

The idea that the Italian criminal justice system is corrupt and any actual justice that might come from it is purely coincidentally isn't exactly new.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2009, 06:49:56 PM
Looks like an ed, but the facts do indeed look like a rather weak case. What say you, Mr. Barrister?

I say that it is foolish to come to conslusions about any criminal case without actually being in the courtroom or reading the decision.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2009, 06:56:38 PM
The idea that the Italian criminal justice system is corrupt and any actual justice that might come from it is purely coincidentally isn't exactly new.

Corruption usually works in favour of stinking rich defendants.

Razgovory

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 04, 2009, 07:01:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2009, 06:56:38 PM

Corruption usually works in favour of stinking rich defendants.

But rarely foreigners.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 06:59:11 PM
I say that it is foolish to come to conslusions about any criminal case without actually being in the courtroom or reading the decision.

So don't come make a prediction, just give us the keys to the game.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2009, 07:07:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 06:59:11 PM

So don't come make a prediction, just give us the keys to the game.

She needs to stay strong in the key and rebound well.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

What is this I heard on the news about the verdict comes first and motive some weeks later?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

citizen k

Barrister

So I read a bit more about the case and don't know what to say.

The Italian justice system doesn't have the highest regard in the world, but it's not a soviet-style showtrial either.  Random assertions about "corrupt italy" really aren't helpful.

I didn't see a whole lot of direct evidence tieing her to the crime, but again the english-language media seems somewhat biased in favour of her innocence.

Valmy

Quote from: Sahib on December 04, 2009, 06:55:52 PM
I like it how US media paint Italy as some sort of Third World hellhole  :lol:

Poor Euros are lampooned as soft on crime...until they convict somebody then they conduct showtrials where the result is a forgone conclusion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2009, 07:22:15 PM
Quote from: Sahib on December 04, 2009, 06:55:52 PM
I like it how US media paint Italy as some sort of Third World hellhole  :lol:

Poor Euros are lampooned as soft on crime...until they convict somebody then they conduct showtrials where the result is a forgone conclusion.

I just remember how the Louise Woodward trial was covered over there and I say: Fuck 'em. Fuck Amanda Knox, Fuck Miss Woodward, and fuck Europe.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

this is the love-triangle girl, right?

saw a report on her a few years ago, and i don't know the facts of the case, but it seemed like she could have very well been guilty. after being told of her roommate's death, she was seen shopping with her boyfriend and looking positively gleeful in the following days. obviously this doesn't prove that she did it, but i wouldn't be surprised if she did

Barrister

Post-offense mood and behaviour is a really dangerous area to assess credibility.  Not everyone reacts to stress or tragedy in the same way.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2009, 07:26:50 PM

I just remember how the Louise Woodward trial was covered over there and I say: Fuck 'em. Fuck Amanda Knox, Fuck Miss Woodward, and fuck Europe.

I'd certainly like to fuck Amanda Knox.