Berlusconi linked to mafia bombing campaign in the 90s

Started by The Larch, December 04, 2009, 08:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

QuoteMafia witness links Berlusconi to bombing campaign

A Mafia informant testifying at a trial in the Italian city of Turin has linked Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to a bombing campaign by the Sicilian Mafia.

Gaspare Spatuzza is giving evidence in an appeal by the co-founder of Mr Berlusconi's party, Marcello Dell'Utri.

He said that a clan boss convicted of the bombings had named Mr Berlusconi in connection with the 1993 attacks.

A spokesman for Mr Berlusconi, who denies the allegations, suggested the Mafia was trying to discredit the PM.

Mr Spatuzza, a protected witness, gave evidence from behind a screen in the courtroom, surrounded by several bodyguards.

'Revenge'

The informant recounted an alleged meeting in 1994 with a Mafia leader, Giuseppe Graviano, who was later convicted along with his brother for the bombings in Rome, Milan and Florence.

"Two names were mentioned, one of them was Berlusconi's," he said.

"I asked if he was the one from Channel Five and he told me 'yes'."

"Graviano told me that thanks to the seriousness of these people we had the country in our hands," he added.

The spokesman for Mr Berlusconi, who is not formally linked to the case of his political associate, said the Mafia was attempting to get its revenge on Mr Berlusconi's administration for its fight against organised crime.

"It is completely logical that the Mafia would use its members to make statements against the prime minister of a government that has acted in a determined and concrete way against organised crime," Paolo Bonaiuti said, quoted by to Reuters news agency.

Marcello Dell'Utri is appealing against a conviction for Mafia association and a nine-year prison sentence.

Because apparently corruption is not enough for Mr. B.  :P

Now seriously, if this is proved, I just can't see him saving face yet again.

Razgovory

Not that I'm a Berlusconi defender but I'm not sure I would go by the word of a mobster.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

The only way Berlusconi is leaving office is in a coffin.

And even then I wouldn't be surprised if he was elected Eternal Dear Leader or something.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Camerus

Everyone appears to hate him and deride him, and yet he is an extraordinarily successful politician and keeps returning to office.  How is that?   :huh:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on December 04, 2009, 09:37:36 AM
Everyone appears to hate him and deride him, and yet he is an extraordinarily successful politician and keeps returning to office.  How is that?   :huh:

Because everyone decent hates him.  However, there's far more indecent people in Italy. :contract:
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2009, 08:51:14 AM
Now seriously, if this is proved, I just can't see him saving face yet again.
If what is proved?  That the mafia has the whole country in their hands because of the seriousness of people like this?

Now I think Berloscunni is a joke, but I don't see how this is a story.

DGuller

I thought it was pretty much a known fact that Berlusconi was mobbed up at least in the past.

Grey Fox

It's Italy ffs, if you are not mobbed up at some point then you are not successfull.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.