And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for the 80s?

Started by garbon, November 27, 2009, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2009, 02:53:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2009, 02:09:49 PM
I took your statement to mean that we aren't really copying anything as we don't have the ability to.

Copying appears to be the only thing that this generation of musicians can do.

Unlike the paragons of originality I listened to in the '70s, like Led Zep. They would *never* copy others.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 30, 2009, 03:02:09 PM
Unlike the paragons of originality I listened to in the '70s, like Led Zep. They would *never* copy others.  :D

We are talking about the 80s here.  Not the terrible decade devoid of music known as the 70s.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2009, 03:03:23 PM

We are talking about the 80s here.  Not the terrible decade devoid of music known as the 70s.

Ahh, the 80s. When Duran Duran ruled the airwaves.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

90s > 70s > 60s > 80s >>>>>>> 2000s
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Malthus on November 30, 2009, 03:15:15 PM

Ahh, the 80s. When Duran Duran ruled the airwaves.   ;)

The reflex...gag reflex that is. :x
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 30, 2009, 05:35:33 PM
90s > 70s > 60s > 80s >>>>>>> 2000s
People are tired of the sound and expect a change, but I think some of it will age well.  TV on the Radio, for instance.  The Black Keys, earlier White Stripes.

That said, fuck all the pussy non-electric indie bands.  All of 'em.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

saskganesh

I'm not at all familiar with television but the Ramones, though very important and influential for punk (along with Iggy, New York Dolls and the like), certainly aren't true punk themselves. Just look at the famous first album cover, in style they're utterly un-punk.
And again: I've recognised from the start that 'New Wave' was around in the 70s, my entire point is that the modern definition of New Wave is rather different to how people in the 70s would have defined it.

?

this is revisionism. It's like Viper arguing that Zeppelin wasn't metal. But if you went back in time, you'd find that people then called them ... metal.
humans were created in their own image

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 30, 2009, 05:53:13 PM
I like Supertramp.

Mostly a 70s act, although their biggest selling album was in 81. If you ever get a chance to see Roger Hodgson live, do so. He's pretty good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011