Main Menu

PS3 vs XBOX: FIGHT

Started by Warspite, November 30, 2009, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Arkestra buy

Pee ess three
ecks bocks

Duque de Bragança

Bobox is unreliable. Red Ring of Death and scratches DVDs. Even the Elite which is not the common hence has not improved as much as the Arcade.
More shooters but if you've got a PC, there's no need for it.

Most of the time, there is no native 1080p on the Xbox (only matters for Full HD though) and HDMI are not that expensive anymore.

It looks cheaper but is not thanks to its kit approach. Want Wi-fi or a bigger hard drive ? Prepare to pay for overpriced Microsoft hardware.
Standard Xbox pads use batteries  :lol:

The games dearth was the PS3 weak point but it's a thing of the past. Now, even former Xbox exclusives are better such as Tales of Vesperia (RPG) or Ninja Gaiden Sigma II (beat them all).

Grey Fox

Beat them all? How french of you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 01, 2009, 05:09:25 AM
Bobox is unreliable. Red Ring of Death and scratches DVDs.

RROD is a lot less common these days, and the warranty should alleviate any fears.  Have never had mine scratch a disc.

QuoteEven the Elite which is not the common hence has not improved as much as the Arcade.
More shooters but if you've got a PC, there's no need for it.

The Arcade had been selling a lot more swiftly than the Elite, so there had been a lot of older Elites out there still in stores.  The price drop, sales, & rebates that knocked the Elite price down to $200 temporarily helped clear out that old stock.  The Elites with the newer chipset are just as good as the Arcades with the newer chipset.

QuoteMost of the time, there is no native 1080p on the Xbox (only matters for Full HD though) and HDMI are not that expensive anymore.

There are quite a few games & now lots of video content from the marketplace that run in full 1080p.  FWIW, Sony only requires PS3 games to be 540p.

You're correct on the HDMI cables, though.  I pay about $5 apiece for mine, and they work just as well as the expensive ones.

QuoteIt looks cheaper but is not thanks to its kit approach. Want Wi-fi or a bigger hard drive ? Prepare to pay for overpriced Microsoft hardware.

But only if you need that stuff.  I agree that the Wifi adapter is criminally priced (though there are ethernet->Wifi bridges out there that are cheaper alternatives), and the hard drive thing is retarded.  Neither thing really affects me, though.

QuoteStandard Xbox pads use batteries  :lol:

Is that funny?  :huh:  Anyway, you can use rechargeable batteries, or find a deal on the battery packs.

QuoteThe games dearth was the PS3 weak point but it's a thing of the past. Now, even former Xbox exclusives are better such as Tales of Vesperia (RPG) or Ninja Gaiden Sigma II (beat them all).

Not sure what the market is like over there, but here there is still a much wider selection of 360 games, and you are much more likely to find deals on them.  I believe there tends to be more downloadable content for games on the 360, as well.

I agree with Martim (for once)-- get a PS3 if you want the blu-ray player & a great media experience (PS3 is UPnP, so there's lots you can do with it).  But if games are more important, a 360 is the way to go.

I'd also mention that I like the 360's interface a lot more than the PS3's, and I think the 360 has a richer online experience, for what that's worth.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 30, 2009, 06:41:05 PM
The PS3 has a very good multimedia system (and is a strong Blu-Ray player) and has a stronger CPU (which most games do not take advantage of). You can get specialized boxes [blu-ray or games] with a larger 250GB disk. The 'slim' version fixes the DTS/HD and TrueHD sound issues of the older PS3.

Do you have the newer PS3 slim?  I heard that while it consumes less power & fixes the audio issues like you mentioned, it takes twice as long to load a blu-ray movie.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2009, 11:28:44 AM

Do you have the newer PS3 slim?  I heard that while it consumes less power & fixes the audio issues like you mentioned, it takes twice as long to load a blu-ray movie.
[/quote]

My brother has both and didn't see any difference.

Josquius

Wow, a lot of love for the PS3...
What games are coming for that soon?
It seems to me that the 360 has nigh on attracted the critical mass to make it the default system.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2009, 11:42:53 AM
Wow, a lot of love for the PS3...
What games are coming for that soon?
It seems to me that the 360 has nigh on attracted the critical mass to make it the default system.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised as not too many months ago, the common voice seemed to be that Sony has completely mishandled its promotion of the system and that xbox was the way to go.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Alcibiades

I have the slim and blu-ray seems to load pretty quickly... :unsure:

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

derspiess

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 01, 2009, 04:19:48 PM
I have the slim and blu-ray seems to load pretty quickly... :unsure:

Here's what I was referring to:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/playstation-3-slim-review/

Scroll down to "Blu-ray Playback".  I guess it's not that huge of a difference between the slim & older models, but the fact that the slim tested a little slower stuck out in my mind.

My Samsung player is pretty slow in loading Blu-rays.  On one disc I bought for my kid it takes for ever just to get to the annoying 20-or so Disney previews :bleeding:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2009, 07:30:03 AM

Les "keske" n'ont pas voix au chapitre. Beat them up si tu préfères  :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2009, 11:26:54 AM

QuoteMost of the time, there is no native 1080p on the Xbox (only matters for Full HD though) and HDMI are not that expensive anymore.

There are quite a few games & now lots of video content from the marketplace that run in full 1080p.  FWIW, Sony only requires PS3 games to be 540p.
576p is actually needed for Europe (Progressive Pal).
Keyword is native. Early X-Box (2006) had no HDMI port hence no 1080p be it upscaled or native. Ninja Gaiden Sigma in 2007 and II (2009) are 1080p for instance.

QuoteIt looks cheaper but is not thanks to its kit approach. Want Wi-fi or a bigger hard drive ? Prepare to pay for overpriced Microsoft hardware.

But only if you need that stuff.  I agree that the Wifi adapter is criminally priced (though there are ethernet->Wifi bridges out there that are cheaper alternatives), and the hard drive thing is retarded.  Neither thing really affects me, though.

HDD helps if you want to enjoy offers in the x-box live.

QuoteStandard Xbox pads use batteries  :lol:

Is that funny?  :huh:  Anyway, you can use rechargeable batteries, or find a deal on the battery packs.

Well, paying for batteries is kind of sad actually, when you could be recharging for free ;)

QuoteThe games dearth was the PS3 weak point but it's a thing of the past. Now, even former Xbox exclusives are better such as Tales of Vesperia (RPG) or Ninja Gaiden Sigma II (beat them all).

Not sure what the market is like over there, but here there is still a much wider selection of 360 games, and you are much more likely to find deals on them.  I believe there tends to be more downloadable content for games on the 360, as well.

Wider selection? Depends on the genres. Shooters and sports namely racing/driving for sure. As for RPGs and especially T-RPGs that's not true  cf. Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles.
Deals over here with the UK included are easy to find for both consoles. It has never been so cheap. That's another strong point of the PS3:no regional coding and the blu-ray makes it easier to have multi-language versions. Japanese imports are still pricier but work on all consoles and are sometimes localized (Bayonetta). No need to wait for the European release of God of War compilation in 720p etc.

I agree with Martim (for once)-- get a PS3 if you want the blu-ray player & a great media experience (PS3 is UPnP, so there's lots you can do with it).  But if games are more important, a 360 is the way to go.

I'd also mention that I like the 360's interface a lot more than the PS3's, and I think the 360 has a richer online experience, for what that's worth.

I must confess that I bought it for blu-ray and games ;)
Personal preference. You can customise it anyways.

Alatriste

PS3 all the way... not only the PS3 is the best or one of the best blu-ray players available, that CPU also means the PS3 upscales conventional DVDs very well to 1080p.

Martinus

The thing with the XBox vs. PS3 debate is this: 2 years ago when I was buying a console and asked the same question, people used the same argument: "Sure, XBox may have more and better games now, but PS3 is the console of the future".

2 years later they are saying the same - interpret this as you will but to me, considering how cheap both are and that you are likely to buy a new console in 2-3 years from now anyway, I'd get XBox. PS3 seems like a dud.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 02, 2009, 03:22:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2009, 07:30:03 AM

Les "keske" n'ont pas voix au chapitre. Beat them up si tu préfères  :D

Ognon is now accepted. My time is coming!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.