Afghanistan News: Obama says NO to everything!

Started by CountDeMoney, November 11, 2009, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 03:39:47 PM
-_-

My spouse is Native American and as such I am SEVERELY ANGERED (on her behalf) by the use of the term 'Indian' to refer to Native Americans.  :mad:
My understanding is that, nowadays, American Indians no longer object to the term "Indian."  It is hard to keep track of the PC merry-go-round, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on November 25, 2009, 01:55:41 PM
I heard Obama said yes to everything.
Apparently so.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iqyaFh_efr-brDq0rMLF1hkop0tgD9C6VFKO0

Take that Nobel Peace Prize Committee!  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2009, 07:11:00 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 03:39:47 PM
-_-

My spouse is Native American and as such I am SEVERELY ANGERED (on her behalf) by the use of the term 'Indian' to refer to Native Americans.  :mad:

I like the term "Aboriginal American". It is much more accurate than "Indian" (obviously) or "Native American", which is just as lame since *I* am a native American, as is anyone born in America.

For some reason the term "aboriginal American" isn't all that popular though...

The term "First Nations" works well.  Aboriginal isn't as popular, but is also correct.

That being said, some generic term like "First Nations" or "Indian" is as generic as saying "European".  If you want to be truly accurate and respectful, call someone by the name of their individual people.  Don't use "Indian"" - use Cherokee, or Navaho, or Cree.  Or in my neck of the woods - call them Kaska, or T'lingit, or G'wichin.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.