News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Spoiler free

Started by Berkut, November 23, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Also, does anyone think it is worthwhile to spend a skill upgrade to get another tactics slot?  For the PC in particular this seems a foolish waste of an upgrade, since you are presumably playing the PC and so tactics are not an issue, but I wondered if there was just something here I am missing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I have a question. Is there any reason not to pick up characters? I see all the time that there are ways to avoid them or to tell them to leave. Why would I do that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 01:10:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 23, 2009, 01:00:16 PM
I like her. More fun then Wynne.

I think Wynne is more useful.

No doubt. I couldn't survive without Wynne.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 01:11:14 PM
I have a question. Is there any reason not to pick up characters? I see all the time that there are ways to avoid them or to tell them to leave. Why would I do that?

Depends how you want to role play.  This time (my first), I'm a rogue so I didn't need Leliana.  Sten is the contrarian of the bunch (you should like him); Zevran is lawful evil so when you play a 'good guy' it's not an option.  So is Morrigan.  I always have Alistair near me (:wub:), Wynne and Ogrhen or Dog.

My next will be a human mage (think Montfoy's father in Harry Potter for the looks) and he'll be more evil.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 23, 2009, 01:04:15 PM
Also, does anyone think it is worthwhile to spend a skill upgrade to get another tactics slot?  For the PC in particular this seems a foolish waste of an upgrade, since you are presumably playing the PC and so tactics are not an issue, but I wondered if there was just something here I am missing.

I have been wonder the same thing.  I really have no idea why anyone would spend a point there.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on November 23, 2009, 01:22:31 PM
Depends how you want to role play.  This time (my first), I'm a rogue so I didn't need Leliana.  Sten is the contrarian of the bunch (you should like him); Zevran is lawful evil so when you play a 'good guy' it's not an option.  So is Morrigan.  I always have Alistair near me (:wub:), Wynne and Ogrhen or Dog.

My next will be a human mage (think Montfoy's father in Harry Potter for the looks) and he'll be more evil.

G.
Sure, but there is a difference from picking up characters and using them.  I've Sten but I hardly ever use him.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
Sure, but there is a difference from picking up characters and using them.  I've Sten but I hardly ever use him.

I guess the only down side (or upside) is that your actions will influence their view of you if they are sitting in camp.  One thing I was wondering is if they remain the same level in camp or whether that gets adjusted as well.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 01:31:10 PM

I'd say there's always the odd time when you need a particular skillset.  Leliana is a good archer so when you fight dragons...  If you need to pack in a lot of damages - both Oghren and Sten with Wynne, and so forth.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2009, 01:33:29 PM
One thing I was wondering is if they remain the same level in camp or whether that gets adjusted as well.

You can level them whenever you're back in camp.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2009, 01:27:09 PM

I have been wonder the same thing.  I really have no idea why anyone would spend a point there.

I like controlling my mage, but mostly because I don't trust the AI to heal very well.

But with a different PC I could definitely see putting the PC on AI and controlling a different character.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

It depends on how you play.

I often prefer to pick my NPCs myself and select the spell/talent to use, and cycle back to my main character.  But if you want to play a totally hands off game, where you don't micro-manage your characters, it can be useful.

Personally, I don't even use all the tactics slots, so... :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

@CC No, there's some mechanism by which they catch up to you (or within a level) once you put them back in your party.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 01:34:37 PM
But with a different PC I could definitely see putting the PC on AI and controlling a different character.

:yes:

My PC is a human noble and I usually let him do his own thing while I control Morrigan or Wynne.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 01:11:14 PM
Some characters will constantly whine or threaten to leave if you don't do things their way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.