News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The recipe thread

Started by Pedrito, November 23, 2009, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 05:29:47 PM
Do any of you Chef Boiardis know recipes that have at most 4 ingredients, with nothing complicated to do with them?  Some of us are bachelors without any cooking skills, you know?

pasta, salted water, extra virgin olive oil, real parmigiano cheese.

It's not the skill, it's the passion  :sleep:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Do any of you Chef Boiardis know recipes that have at most 4 ingredients, with nothing complicated to do with them?  Some of us are bachelors without any cooking skills, you know?

Dice bacon and chorizo (or similar spicy sausage) and onions. Fry. Add a can or two of kindey or baked beans, another can of tomato. Keep frying till desired consistency is reached. Serve with grated cheese.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2010, 11:32:34 PM

Dice bacon and chorizo (or similar spicy sausage) and onions. Fry. Add a can or two of kindey or baked beans, another can of tomato. Keep frying till desired consistency is reached. Serve with grated cheese.

:mmm:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

What's the end product of this?

Jaron

Its clearly some kind of a chili.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 11:38:22 PM

What's the end product of this?

Tasty? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Just be glad one of the ingredients wasn't "diced ex-girlfriend".  Again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Farfalle with Turkey Sausage and Broccoli

Ingredients

* 2 bunches broccoli, stems trimmed
    * 1 pound farfalle pasta
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 pound turkey Italian-style sausage, casings removed
    * 3 garlic cloves, minced
    * Pinch dried crushed red pepper flakes
    * 1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Cook the broccoli in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp tender, about 1 minute. Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl of ice water to cool, saving the cooking water. Bring the reserved cooking water back to a boil.

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into pieces with a spoon, until browned and juices form, about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, when the reserved cooking water is boiling, add the farfalle and cook until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Strain the broccoli and add it to the pan with the sausage mixture and toss to coat with the juices. Add the pasta to the skillet. Stir in the Parmesan and serve immediately.

Syt

Broccoli is the devil's pubes!
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

;)

Alternatively...  More than four ingredients, but low cost&easy to do.

Tex-mex chicken.
4 chicken breast
1 cup of rice (converted)
1 can of chicken cream soup
1 can of milk (use the empty soup can)
1 cup of peppers and onions
1 cup of frozen corn
Tex-mex spices
Cheddar & Monterey jack (1 pack of each).

Use a large cooking bowl (well, not a bowl, but I lack the word... some kind of cooking plate with high edges).
Mix the milk and the soup.
Add the rice.
Pour in the vegetables and the frozen corn.
1 tsp of tex-mex spice in the mix
Put the chicken breasts on this.
Slice the cheese, put the cheese on the chicken.
Add the tex-mex spices (1tsp) on the cheese.
Cook for 40min at 350F
Cook for 5 min at broil or until cheese is melted.

that gives 4 portions, and it can stay in the fridge for a couple of days no problem.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Take any piece of meat.  Season with salt and pepper, cook in a pan with oil.  Defrost some frozen veggies for a side.

Take any old vegetable you have laying around, sautee for a couple minutes.  Mix three eggs, pour over your veggies, let it cook until eggs are firm.

Bread, meat, cheese - make a sandwich.  Butter the outside of the sandwich, fry/grill it until browned and the cheese melts.

Brown some ground beef.  Add it to a jar of tomato sauce.  Add any spices you think would taste good.  Serve over pasta noodles.

Or you could, you know, buy a cookbook.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I did buy a cookbook for the beginners.  I learned how to make scrambled eggs and Greek salad from it.  However, even that cookbook, which is well-reviewed, has too many steps and ingredients for most dishes.  When I see some instructions that start with five different spices needing to be mixed together, my eyes glaze over.

Ed Anger

Brown ground beef. drain,set aside.

Make one box of Mac&Cheese. After it is done, toss beef into Mac&cheese. Add chili powder. Stir

Voila. Bachelor chow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2010, 02:42:42 PM
When I see some instructions that start with five different spices needing to be mixed together, my eyes glaze over.

:rolleyes:

Measure out the spices, mix them together.  Take you 30 seconds.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2010, 02:49:25 PM
Brown ground beef. drain,set aside.

Make one box of Mac&Cheese. After it is done, toss beef into Mac&cheese. Add chili powder. Stir

Voila. Bachelor chow.

Tuna and chili beans are also good in mac and cheese. :yes: